NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting started in offshore tuna fishing and I am getting ready to purchase some heavy duty reels. I am going to do primarly tuna chunking but if the fish don't bite I might give trolling a try. I have always herd about the Penn International and was pretty intent on buying two 50TW's but reciently I have herd that alot of chunkers are using the Shimanos. What do you all think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am just getting started in offshore tuna fishing and I am getting ready to purchase some heavy duty reels. I am going to do primarly tuna chunking but if the fish don't bite I might give trolling a try. I have always herd about the Penn International and was pretty intent on buying two 50TW's but reciently I have herd that alot of chunkers are using the Shimanos. What do you all think?

G

·
Dockboy,
I have fished both.Something classic about the internationals I like. Strong reels smooth drags.
Shimano is a beautiful reel also. You cant make a mistake there. Some thing about gold reels in the rocket launchers! If you dont want to go for your lungs, dont over look everol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
you may want to consider investing in a two speed reel (the 50SW (VSW on the new models) rather than the TW), especially if your fishing from a dead boat. the low gear will give you some added leverage when that fish is digging in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.