NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C/Al if my memory serves me well you could advise me on what number newell I would need to toss plugs and bucktails from the beach, if there may be more than one choice lets take line capacity and ratio into play thanks in advance

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello FTRAV,

I have several Newell reels for plugging and it's all a matter of what you are planning to toss…

I generally use the 220 for bucktailing and smaller plugs and the 229 for larger plugs. My 235 and 332 are my go to chunking applications.

In general, I have to agree with Windcatcher because I believe the Model 229 is the most versatile (plugging - Chunking - Boat) Newell size! :)

Just wondering… How many Newell Aficionados do we have in here?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
215 Posts
Alberto,
Just popped my Newell cherry recently and bought a 229-5 for bottom fishing. However made a mistake and didnt get the 3:1 gear ratio. Am I going to regret this mistake when i hook my first tog?

Space

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Hey Space... How are ya?

Don't worry... The Newell 229-5 should be OK for togging! Simply play the fish carefully (slowly) and you should have no problem! ;)

In fact, the 229 -5.1 ratio is "the" model I recommend for plugging / Chunking / Eeling and bottom fishing! :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.