NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Center Console.....On trailer........outboard.

It was winterized right.

What needs to be done before I use her this season??

Water Gas seperator installed last spring.....Gear case emptied and refilled last spring.

What else is there to do??

Thanks for your input.....I just want to make sure I'm caring for her properly.

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

It was winterized right.

Water Gas seperator installed last spring.....Gear case emptied and refilled last spring.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It was winterized right.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Bottom's painted, charge the battery, make sure the gas is ok, assuming engine was winterized: all grease fittings hit, prop spline hit. gas filters ok, zincs ok, controls ok, steering ok,
After you put it the water in and start it the engine will smoke like a SOB from the fogging oil, use the boat 10 hrs. Then toss the plugs and replace with new ones { supposedly they cant be cleaned & reused because the insulater's become NG from the oil, allthough some people keep a set of plugs just for fogging} Maybe take a wrench to the heads torque properly and make sure nothing's loose. WD 40 the crap out or it, go fishing.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
You mentioned the gas filter and gearcase oil was done last spring,that should be done every year.Then follow Allens steps for the rest....
Batteries charged,new plugs,hit grease fittings again,check gas lines and primer ball for dry rot.Some engines have a gas filter on engine(little filter that cup unscrews,dump that and check filter)check lights and bilge pump,check safety equipment,make sure drain plug is in, have fun.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK ....let's see..

I won't need to paint the bottom.......it's never been painted(one of the benefits of trailering.

CHARGE BATTERIES!!...good one thank you!

Grease every Mother lovin thing on the boat and trailer!!......will do!

The prop spline??....what's that??...never mind..I'll find out and grease it too!!

ZINC's!!...I've been meaning to replace them!!...thank you!

Wheel bearings on trailer!!....that's another important thing!!...thank you!!

Last season my mechanic took the lower unit home and did the pump and also changed the gear case oil.........he claims every other season is ok...I'll have to trust him or do it myself.

Hey guys ,big help!!....I appreciate it!!

If anyone thinks of anything else speak up!

I'm gonna go look at the web site Nansea mentioned.....thanks again!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you have an inboard tank I (hopefully fuel stabelized) The first couple of topoffs I like to add High Test gas (I usually use 89 octane during the season) this will add a little more octane to your gas (it looses some over the winter) Thus freshening it up some. This helps even with portable tanks. Also add some Ring Free. WD40 or CRC all of your electrical connections. Really pay attention to greasing the steering controls (engine end) on your outboard. It cost me almost $700.00 last year to replace mine (most labor cost) it was frozen solid. Grease it a couple times a year (It shouldent hurt). Just to be on the safe side! Even after you launch the boat for the first time in the spring, don't forget some of the things mentioned in the other posts are very helpful on a regular basis during the season to PREVENT problems.
Luck and Good Fishing!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
OK I got another, Change the fuel filter/water seperator jobbie, oh &.......
Dont forget to put the Boat plug in!
Unless you want to test your bildge pumps,
Oh & test your bildge pumps, clean those screens.

Ya want to know what's a good idea?
Check all rail stantions , if you see slight rust on the screws or f.glass at least change the screws as closed cell corrision is starting. The ss screws are cheap & WILL save you from drilling new holes & rebedding the hardware even more serious deck leaks. Those ss screws rust when the rail slightly loosens & water gets in there. If no screws are rusty then at least go around and tighten them. Even new boats with 1 season on them can have the screws rust out, also cleats, bitts, bimini stanchions any other hardware.
Check battery cables that might have been in the laying in the bildge, those things can corrode really fast. Check all Battery connections, switches, ect. Those cables often need replacing.
Check fire extingisher{s}make sure it's charged.
lines, flotation devices horns, ect..
thats enough from me.
Alan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Charged the batteries today and installed them..........of course just like every year I broke a tie down in the proccess.
Pulled one wheel off the trailer and checked the bearings.....like brand new!!.....packed 'em and put 'em back.

Oh and ,Alan< I cleaned and greased the prop spline and put the prop on.

Got her in front of the house for now......still plenty to do!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hurry those flounder are waiting, I put 6 hrs. on my boat allready & have a sunburn! Or maybe part windburn we'll I'm red anyways. It's the mildest spring ever as it was Winter. No better season to get out there early, I read a few reports of Bass being caught off the beaches around JI. Waters around 47 inside.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
To All-

Safety is not just seasonal- it's every day, every trip.

Check all of your safety gear to make sure it's in top useable condition.

Are your signalling devices working? Do your flares need to be replaced (they have expiration dates!).Do you have your visual signalling devices? Do you have the proper number of flotation devices? Are they in good condition or showing signs of dry rot, mildew, etc? How about your first aid kit? Need some newer bandages, antiseptic, etc.? How about spare batteries, flashlights, transistor radios? Are Fire extinguishers fully charged and available? Did you test your sniffers and Halon system? Do bilge blowers and pumps work? How about that manual bilge pump you've never used. Do you know where it is, and what condition it's in? Better yet, do you know how to use it? Is your tool kit complete, cleaned and available (nothing like a plier or adjustable wrench that's frozen with rust or can't be found!).

Are all your ropes, dock lines and ground tackle in good shape? ANy dry rot, chafing, worn or reknotted spots? What about a tow line?

VHF RADIO- Check all wiring and connections for any signs of corrosion! Any doubt, rip it out, and replace that coax or antenna. Spend a few bucks to have your transmitter professionally checked for SWR and bad connections, shorts, etc.

Have a safe and happy season folks! See ya out there!

TSLTW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.