NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fishers,

Now that I got your attention? I am just curious.

Why do you fish?
I understand people fish for various reasons? but I am curious what is yours.

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why do I fish???? hmmm When my wife asked me that question (as i was talking her into letting me upgrade from my 19' cuddy to my 24' Penn Yan)I told her it was a great way to relax and get away from the stress of my job (Fedex courier).I can't think of a better way to spend the day than fishing with a couple of friends and then enjoying a great seafood dinner at the end of the day.
Mike M

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Why do i fish?"
I love the challenge..planning the hunt,figuring out the tide,place & presentation and [hopefully]
hooking up!
Just being out in the surf,lake or river is great therapy to keep hold of the small shred of sanity which i still have!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im 17 and started fishing when i was about 13. No one teached me and i got my own father into fishing. I love fishing for tons of reasons. The feel of setting the hook on a powerful fish. The preparation for the big trips. Its so exciting. Looking at the ocean when your surf fishing. I dont think there is any thing better.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Fishing is unique in that satisfies many different innate desires. Primarily for me, it is an escape from the rat race, but that is only the beginning. It is competitive--Winning the pool or catching a record is much more than money. Fishing also provides both camaraderie and solitude at the same time, what other pastime can offer that? The great adrenaline rush is cherished by most anglers. From trying to keep a big white chin from digging into a wreck to watching a marlin light up on an artifical just before he blows the S*** out of it, fishing gets the blood flowing.

I think the question should be why someone would chose NOT to fish...

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Al,
My reason for fishing is just an excuse for being out on the water in a boat. Then having fresh fish for dinner. If I dont catch it is still a great day, if I catch its a plus to the day.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great1, Good Job........
Crazy I live In The real Mecca.
Grew up fishing. I cant explain it.
Its Like a salmon runnin up river, Ya just got to do it.
Have You hugged Your plugs lately Bubba;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moo315 wrote:
Why do I fish???? hmmm When my wife asked me that question (as i was talking her into letting me upgrade from my 19' cuddy to my 24' Penn Yan)I told her it was a great way to relax and get away from the stress of my job (Fedex courier).I can't think of a better way to spend the day than fishing with a couple of friends and then enjoying a great seafood dinner at the end of the day.
I agree with you 100%! It?s a great way for a family gathering and enjoy the fruits of your labor! Also, can you tell me more about the 24? Penn Yan? I used to own the 25? tunnel drive but I heard they no longer making it? is that correct?

Rick G,
I love the challenge..planning the hunt,figuring out the tide,place & presentation and [hopefully] hooking up! Just being out in the surf,lake or river is great therapy to keep hold of the small shred of sanity which i still have!

Hi RickG,
You and I think the same, it?s the challenge of the hunt, understanding your surroundings and ultimately conquering your quest! Good point!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great1,
Im 17 and started fishing when i was about 13. No one teached me and i got my own father into fishing. I love fishing for tons of reasons. The feel of setting the hook on a powerful fish. The preparation for the big trips. Its so exciting. Looking at the ocean when your surf fishing. I dont think there is any thing better.

Great1,
Good for you! I like the fact that you are taking the initiative to teach your dad! That?s what fishing is all about! Building a family bond and enjoying nature! Keep at it and you are on the road to become a great fisherman!!!!

Gamakatsu
Fishing is unique in that satisfies many different innate desires. Primarily for me, it is an escape from the rat race, but that is only the beginning. It is competitive--Winning the pool or catching a record is much more than money. Fishing also provides both camaraderie and solitude at the same time, what other pastime can offer that? The great adrenaline rush is cherished by most anglers. From trying to keep a big white chin from digging into a wreck to watching a marlin light up on an artifical just before he blows the S*** out of it, fishing gets the blood flowing.

I think the question should be why someone would chose NOT to fish...

Gamkatsu,
LOLOLOL?. From the looks of things, you?ve got a little competitive inside you! You are right though, it?s not about the money nor glory? it?s all about the experience fishing provides! It?s exciting, solitude, camaraderie, adrenaline driven and most importantly?. Addictive.!

LReelerdp
My reason for fishing is just an excuse for being out on the water in a boat. Then having fresh fish for dinner. If I dont catch it is still a great day, if I catch its a plus to the day.

LReelerdp,
I also agree with ya! It?s all about getting away, relaxing and enjoying life in general!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JohnnyB,
My girlfriend would ask me that question all the time until I let her reel in a striper from the surf.

Johnny B,
Oh noooo?. Are you telling me that she is hooked on fishing? ;) That?s great you could enjoy fishing with that very special one!

BassMaster,
Crazy I live In The real Mecca. Grew up fishing. I cant explain it. Its Like a salmon runnin up river, Ya just got to do it.
Have You hugged Your plugs lately Bubba

BassMaster,
Now, now? how many time I told ya to leave my plugs alone! Back? get back! I have no advise for ya pal. All I can say is? you are insane! :p

Spacegh8st,
Relaxing and gets my mind off the rat race. Plus good learning and education on environment and nature. It also helps that i like to eat fish.

Spacegh8st,
Ahhhh yes, the getaway and the environment thing! This is so important that we still can enjoy that! Good point!!! :)

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why do I fish?

Surf fishing has become a big part of my life, & who I am these past few years.

I get enjoyment out of every aspect. To be honest nothing beats the anticipation of the strike when you know they are there. Then the hookset & fight of a good fish. These would top my list.

I also enjoy a clean release to watch her swim away with a tail sweep to splash my face. Cant forget the planning, the hunt, the preparation for a trip. I enjoy fishing alone, and also w/ friends.

On my way home from fishing Im thinking about when I can get back out again. Its usually the first thing I think of when I wake up, & the last thing Im thinking of when I fall asleep. I guess I got this sickness bad.

This message was edited by NJSurf on 11-27-01 @ 11:51 AM

·
Registered
14 Posts
liten up hear guys ...all the things you posted
are things we tell others who dont have that passion running through there viens!we tell them things they might understand and justify the sickness we have..I know that there have been plenty of times Ive been on the surf at 3am ,no life in sight, its cold,or in 8 footers trying to hold bottom with 16 oz of lead that I ask myself why do I put my body through this 3-5 days a week...and as soon as the rod tip bounces just once and the blood returns to my fingertips and as I get ready to set up on a
potential trophy its all so clear to me!I just love to fish...

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
My father has been taking me fishing since I was four years old. I am now 24 and I have had the
opportunity to catch squid, lobster and longline bottom fish off Nova Scotia. I have gone for
Tarpon in Florida. I've caught lake trout, landlocked salmon and pike in Lake Champlain (I was the only student in college with a boat). And finally, salt and freshwater fishing around LI. The funny thing is I don't eat fish.

Fishing is a great way for my father and I to spend time together (even if we argue for a good
portion of it). He taught me everything I know and now the student has surpassed the master
LOL. However, every once in a while I am humbled by dad again to remind me where I came from. It is a fun competition.

Granted, most anyone can go out and drift a piece of bait and will eventually catch a fish. Some
people are happy like that. I look at fishing like hunting. I go out and try to target a species and then I spend a lot of time trying to learn about that fish (location, baits, currents, weather, etc). Once I can produce fish consistently, their habits change, and the fun starts over again. It is a challenging sport that requires a certain amount of luck, but also requires skills that an angler can
develop.

For 18 years we fished out of a 16 foot semi-dory (a glorified row boat). This year my father
bought a 21 foot center console, which has greatly increased our available fishing days. This is the first year I got to fish off-shore and the November striper run. I got to catch my first tuna and mahi, and we had a great November run. This is also the first year I have been into surfcasting.

While I still do the majority of my fishing from the boat, surfcasting is my favorite method. To
see a fish swirl before striking a pencil popper swishing back and forth is AWESOME. Bait
fishing is fun because it produces and you still get to fight the fish, but nothing can beat the feel of a strike while retrieving a lure.

Two weeks ago, I took five people fishing over three trips and had more fun watching them catch
their first stripers then I had catching them. I fish because fishing brings together family,
challenges skills, constantly learning new things, get to teach others, keeps me out of the bars on Friday and Saturday nights (trouble) and it is another form of my skills verses nature. And this is only my third favorite thing on the list in the other discussion.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Doughboy, I'm like you. I don't eat fish either but yet fishing is all I want to do! It's in my blood... no other way to describe it! People are amazed that I fish whenever and wherever I can but yet don't eat them. A lot of the reasons you mentioned full under my description of being in my blood but to be more precise they are:

- just being on the water
- friendly competition
- seeing the joy in others catch fish
- the challenge of outwitting and outsmarting the fish
- seeing things you can't see anywhere else
- awesome sunrises
- the comraderie
- clearing my head; just relaxing
- the unknown of never knowing what you'll catch or not

To me, it's just fun!

Fatal Attraction

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.