NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definetly Jack Crevel I have Caught them and Northern Kingfish. Not the regular kingfish.At lilco during August 2 years ago where I also saw about 80 or so tuna swimming up and down the outflow which where 3 to 4 feet in length with stripes going from head to tail. Couldnt catch the tuna but did pook it with tip of my pole thats how close they were.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I am going to revise my guess to conform with the others. I have not surfcasted in Florida since I was a kid and I mixed up the fish we caught. (We had caught both Jack and Pompano). That is a Jack, albeit a small one.

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
They grow to about 30" and fight like stubborn bluefish. They taste horrible so most are released only to grow larger. They get pushed up here in the summer by the gulf stream but can't survive our winter temps unless they are lucky enough to find man-made warm water outflows. As a kid we caught a few of them around 3" long while we were catching spearing. We threw them into our saltwater fish tank and they lived for years.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Jacks will actually grow to over 3 feet and can weigh over 40 pounds. They are voracious feeders and can be caught at will when they are found. Jacks of the size in the photo are a PRIME snook bait in Florida and I spent many hours catching them for the livewell when I was younger. I have seen both small jacks and their close cousins, blue runners, caught from the docks at Sheepshead Bay.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Its a Jack. We've been catching alot of them this year in Perth Amboy/Raritan Bay. They've been around since late June and many kids have been catching them recently while trying for snappers. I tried using em alive like snappers for fluke but only the blues took interest. I did fillet a couple and have had success with the weakies using em as strip bait.

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Seashark,

That is a jack crevalle, without any doubt...I am from Florida and have caught both yellowtail snappers and jack crevalle in quantity. The yellowtail snapper is a high quality table fish and the jack crevalle is a bloody, oily fish.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
39 Posts
your right doc the gulf stream does drag alot of species up here i never though that was possible until 2 years ago when i was seabass fishing on peir 10 at Jones Beach with number 3 hooks using sand worms. that day i caught seabass, taug, spotted grouper, some weird silver fish with red dorsal fins and dog like fangs (like something out of alien), and a few odd species not native to these waters.
also do tuna feed on blue fsh? i was fishing out in Port washington last summer and catching big blues feeding on bunker and i saw a huge blue (18lb+ and like 45") floating on the water near the shore about 20 feet of water with a huge 7" wide bite out of his bach by the dorsal fin. didn't look like shark it was too clean cut and i don't think shark are in that close. (if not tuna then what?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.