NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - maybe I'm opening a can of worms, but...
What's the best line to use (strength to diameter)?

Also, I've heard lots about Fireline being exceptionally strong for its diameter. Does this mean that you can use more of it (even in excess of the reel's capacity recommendations) on the spool, without causing problems?

Thanks!
hookt

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Fireline lasts a long time, casts far but I had a situation when having a runoff & the drag screaming it was slightly looped in the spool and the line broke.
I like Jenka 30 lb.
You could possibly spool 3 times the fireline on your reel then mono but would have to take out a loan to pay for it
Alan

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've just recently started using braided line again. I used the original spiderwire back in the day, but it doesn't compare to the new stuff that is out now. I'm using the Fireline product now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Its a lil pricey compared to mono, but not as much as some other braided line like Power Pro. Braid takes some getting used to and you can get alot more on your reel and use "heavier" pound test then recommended...JUST DO NOT EXCEED THE RATINGS OF YOUR RODS!!! Thats when problems will arise.
I still use mono on some of my reels and really like the Berkley INSHORE brand. Of course I still use some ANDE and Trilene Big Game. There's alot of new lines out there that you could try. It can run into money, but you have to find what works best for YOU.
just my $.02...

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
I just bought Power pro at modells for $12, it can go much higher in price.
Power pro goes on the spool round like mono, fire line flattens out and gets a frayed look to it.
I use both of them I just think power pro spools up neeter.
Also if some one with mono crosses you with a braid your lure will come back to you .

·
Registered
404 Posts
i've heard lots of good things about power pro, but i'm too heavily invested in fireline to switch.
i've been thrilled with 30 # test fireline for years.
it's so good, it's kind of hard to believe it's still legal!

set,
opinari

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.