NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 10 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a reel for 8 to 12 lb test. This would be used for casting to Albies, small Bluefish and creek Stripers for release (16 in fish ). I am looking for the best product, light and easily casting is a requirement. I will be matching this with a 7 Ft custom Rod.

Also what kind of blank and response should I as of Altenkirk ( all of my rods he does ) when he builds this rod?

I currently have Amabassador 6500 17lb/ and 7000 20lb/ reels with 20 lb with Altenkirk Rods. These are not such great casting reels, although they do work fine for heavy offshore casting such as Mahi Mahi, and larger school blues, and the Fall run for Huge topwater Stripers chasing Herring.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the great advice. I am going to go with the Shimano series, even letting my Ambassador Big Game reels to be replaced with the Shimano Cacultta series. I dont like different reel familys on my boat. Not only that, I sent in my reels 7000/7500/6500 * three reels,to be restored (factory repair ) , after a year old.
I am not a pro at taking apart and re-lube, next time around I am going to learn how to take apart and re-lube. Got a bill for $167.00 and still waiting for them to be returned..a month now.

Bought, two of each CT50/ CT250/ and CT700. Shimano was a bit more expensive, you pay for quality. Thanks for the great advice!!!

1 - 2 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.