NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting started in offshore tuna fishing and plan to do mostly chunking however will troll if necessary. The fish I will be around can range from 40lbs to 150lbs. With and occasional fish at 200+. Both YFT and BFT. What is an all around good reel to use in this situation, line class, ect. Thanks Josh

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dockboy,

I dont mean to sound rude but how is this new topic any different than the ones you've posted over the last few days. Unless you have unlimited funds, the reels you buy for chunking will be the same reels you troll with, within reason. 50s are the perfect size for chunking and almost all trolling conditions. Yeah, you could also buy 80s or 130s but lets be real. The vast majority of the fish you catch will be well handled by a 50. Most fish caught these days on the chunk will be under 100lb YFT The fact that the fish may range to 150 or 200 should not be what guides you. Most times when chunking you might only use 60lb or 80lb flouro. If a super big boy hits you hope you dont get a breakoff. Good Luck out there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Offshore Party Boat Chunking Reel

Think a 50W leverdrag reel. The Shimano TLD50LRS is a good start. Lighter than metal, very smooth wet drag and very low maintenance. Bad side is that you shouldn't push the drag beyond 27# or you risk a frame failure.

If you want to spend the bux, a Penn50SW (on sale since it's being replaced by the 50VSW model) or the Shimano Tiagra 50WLRS are excellent.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
If you're going fish inshore you should be O.K. with 50s, spooled with 80 pound line. If you're going to the canyons those 50s will break your heart. We fish 80Ws spooled with 100 pound test. Every year we catch at least one 400 Lb + blue marlin and there's almost no way, unless you are very experienced marlin capt. that you're going catch one of those on a 50. Plus if you get a big bluefin on, you're going to have a heck of a fight and by the time you get the fish to the boat it will be worthless as food.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
REELS

The Penn 30SW's (2 speed) are going for $400.00 now (old model) Great Buy-load them up with 50lb. line. I put just over 500yds.of Berkley Big Game 50# on the two that I have. You can get the older model 30W cheap now also.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
REELS

The Penn 30SW's (2 speed) are going for $400.00 now (old model) Great Buy-load them up with 50lb. line. I put just over 500yds.of Berkley Big Game 50# on the two that I have. You can get the older model 50 cheap now also, load them up with 80#.

·
Registered
384 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd forgo the 30's (even if they are the SWs) and buy the 50s (SW, VSW or any comparable competitors model). I bought a pair of 30SWs two years ago and have put them to the test fishing YFT, sharks, etc. In retrospect, I would have saved the money and invested in a few more 50s. They are a better all-around size.
Believe me, if you're fishing from a dead boat, you want the added leverage of a 50 (loaded with 80#) two-speed (especially when that fish digs in). We hooked two sizeable sharks last season (300# +) that put our 50s through a test. I don't believe the 30s would have had enough stopping power when those big boys decided to sound. The other advantage is that with the heavier line, you have a little more abrasion resistence should the fish thrash around at boatside.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dockboy,

Not to be redundant, I too would skip the 30s. While MakoMike is correct, there are fish that will break your heart on a 50, unless your targeting Giants or Blue Marlin, your heartbreaks will be far and few between. If you will be consistantly working the Canyons and have the extra bucks, why not throw in a pair of 80s or 130s for that matter. If you are doing inshore to offshore (20 to 40 fathoms) the 50s are the way to go. I agree with Mahi's post and again state that I think 30's are too light.BTW, in the last three years, I have averaged at least 10 canyon trips per season. The ave fish caught is 40lb albie and 60 - 70lb YFT. Have caught BFT, Eyes and Allisons much bigger but you need to buy what works most of the time. Alsowill you work the rods, standup, chair or bentbutt in a holder. i love standup so I use 15KGs and TLD 25s all with 50 Momoi. If I could do it over, I probably would go for the 50 two speed for some (I troll 7)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have to agree that a 2-speed 50 International will handle almost anything, BUT..... chunking with such a heavy outfit all night is the pits. Most YFT will average between 60-85lbs & do not even require the 50. I once caught an 85lb YFT on the chunk with a Penn GLS 45 on an ugly stick. I hear that Shimano makes excellent lightweight reels and I may try them out this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.