NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am jsut starting out in teh offshore fishing for tuna, i plan to do primarly chunking however will go trolling if the chunk doesnt produce fish. the fish can range from 50 to 150 lbs with an occasional fish weighing over 200. What is a good reel and line class to use in this situation. Thanks Josh

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would go with a Penn 50SW, although I just checked their website and it appears that it is no longer in production.

I like it for the two-speed which comes in handy on bluefin in the 150-pound class. Don't let anyone tell you that the second speed is a waiste I think it's worth every penny.

There is a 50VSW on the Penn site www.pennreels.com that I guess is the replacement for the 50SW
I would pair then with 60-80 pound line and stand-up rods.

I've found that to be a great combination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tuna Reels

I was in the same dilemma a few years ago. I highly recommend getting a few Penn International 30 SW. They are over built and can go through ****. These reels can pretty much handle everything except giant tuna. Purchase them on E-bay and you can save some serious money. They might be pricey, but if you maintain them properly you will have them forever. If those are out of your price range, take look at the Okumas.I've heard they make a good reel and they're not to bad on your wallet.

Happy shopping,

AhiChaser

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Lever Drags

If money is not a problem then go with Shimano,the smoothest drag system out there.If your looking to save some money take a look at Everol.They make a very solid reel at a fraction of the price of Shimano and Penn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Everol 20/30 "water proof series"sells for $299. It is a single speed but trust me it packs a punch and we had no problem with all those 100 plus pound YFT around last season. These reels also have two positive stops on the lever drag so you can pre set for a full spool and a 1/2 spool. Another alternative is the Shimano TLD30 and TLD50LRS. Save your self some $ and check these reels out. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.