NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
It is good, especially when it is caught in cold water and kept on ice.

Scrod is the white fish of the day and while restaurants would like you to beleive it's cod, often it is haddock, white hake or ling (red hake).

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
Plumber60 wrote:
Ling tastes good, a little mushy in the texture department though...
You have to keep it iced for the time it hits the deck, or the meat gets mushy.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
"mushy" can be a product of preparation, too - the way my wife prepares it's more delicate than mushy (of course when I make it it's pretty mushy). I personally think it's very good when prepared correctly, I rank it as one of my favorites.

·
Registered
240 Posts
maybe even better than sea bass in my opinion, but it MUST be kept cold from the time you catch them. spoils fast and bruises very easily--even if you rinse the fillets in the sink at 'max' flow. if done properly the texture is delicate/flaky and not mushy. obviously not a fish you'd be able to throw on the grill though. my favorite is sauteed with a little butter & garlic.

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
When I lived in Queens and fished SHB we had a very good winter fishery which included ling and whiting. (I know somebody will ask about night whiting trips
) Mom would fry up the ling as soon as I got home, dinner would be on the table before I was out of the shower. Man those fish were the best. The ling was moist and delicious. I liked it better then the whiting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ling is King!!

Back in the early 80's in SHB I won 2 pools with Ling, back then were talking about 5 to 8 pound Lings! Meat is very tasty with a nice soft flaky texture. Bon Apetit!!

·
Banned
7,820 Posts
Jmoney wrote:
even if you rinse the fillets in the sink at 'max' flow.
Running FRESH water on any saltwater fish fillet removes the taste of the fish and alters the texture as well.

DO NOT USE FRESH WATER ON YOUR FILLETS

·
Registered
240 Posts
I rinse all the crap off right before I marinate them. scales, blood, and the like. ideally of course that would be done with saltwater, but that takes motivation on the ride in.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
HungryJack wrote:
Jmoney wrote:
even if you rinse the fillets in the sink at 'max' flow.
Running FRESH water on any saltwater fish fillet removes the taste of the fish and alters the texture as well.

DO NOT USE FRESH WATER ON YOUR FILLETS

Not that I practice what I am about preach, but, I have heard that before.

I read in a sushi and seafood cook book that you should never rinse your fillets, especially with tap water. They suggest that you gut and ice your fish whole and wait until you are ready to cook or store the fish. Then clean and pat the fish dry and fillet it on a clean cutting board never letting the fillet touch the rest of the fish.

I fillet my fish on a mossy wooden dock and squirt them with a hose,
I think I'll stop doing that now!

This post edited by 6to8ftSeas 08:38 PM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
240 Posts
6to8ftSeas wrote:

Not that I practice what I am about preach, but, I have heard that before.

I read in a sushi and seafood cook book that you should never rinse your fillets, especially with tap water. They suggest that you gut and ice your fish whole and wait until you are ready to cook or store the fish. Then clean and pat the fish dry and fillet it on a clean cutting board never letting the fillet touch the rest of the fish.

I fillet my fish on a mossy wooden dock and squirt them with a hose,
I think I'll stop doing that now!

yeah the 'proper' way to do it is to clean the knife if needed between cuts, with the fillet never in contact with any water at all. hard to do on a PB.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.