NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the season winds down for striper fishermen, I was wondering what they do during the winter since I'm new to surf fishing. Pack up their gear and watch football on weekends? Switch to fishing blackfish and flounders?

Thanks to tiderunner's advices while fishing on the WE2 jetty, I've managed 2 keepers at 32 inches using a long bomber this season. And have also convinced my wife to buy me a Lamiglas for xmas. The current steelhead rod I have works well when I'm casting with the wind but totally useless into the wind while the guy next to me with a longer rod is casting his 100+ yards into the same headwind. Didn't get a chance to ask him which rod and what action the rod is because his wife was standing behind him nagging him to leave (guess that's why we don't take wives along, eh). My other question is, which rod action should I get in order to be able to use the rod for both plugging and slinging out 3 oz sinkers with bait? Thanks for your help and happy holidays to all.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Agreed Mark Flynn is the man. You might want to consider a 10'. Depending on your size and ability it might be the way to go. Talk to Mark he will hook you up. Good luck--bill

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give Mark a call. But I'm serious about the other question. Do you guys pack it in once the striper season ends or you switch to different type of fish? Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If this weather holds up we might not have to pack it in.
Else it's if to the boat and fishing shows.
Tried tying flys last winter. That didn't last since I don't fly fish

Later

·
Registered
190 Posts
T&B
There is still some quality fishing to enjoy, usually by now it would over as far as the surf goes, but you see how warm its been. Myself, I hang up the big rods for the most part within a week or so, to concentrate on the holidays. I will fly fish for trout over the winter, tie bucktails and flies, alter/fix plugs, change hooks, go to local fishing shows etc. Also I enjoy getting out to catch some herring to freeze for the spring, they are fun on light tackle.
In past years I have not been much of a boat fisherman, but right know I am looking forward to getting into some blackfishing. Have a good holiday season.
Mike Lang

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi, TandBass
Thanks for the compliments. It was a pleasure fishing the WE II area with you. I am always willing to help a fellow surf fisherman any time they need advice. I keep very, very few secrets to myself. That's how I learned to fish the beach over 25 years ago. You get back what you give. And to this very day I am still learning! I enjoy picking the brains of many of our Island's surf sharpies. As far as the end of the season. Well I fished WE II for the last time this year on December 2, 2001. I caught a 37"(16lbs 6oz. striper)on a buck tail. It was nice way to end a great year.(see photo courtesy of surf fisherman Wayne)During the off season I will build another Lamiglas GSB 120 1L. This rod is great for most conditions. If you want a little more beef go with the Lamiglas GSB120 1M. Either way you can't go wrong. I also need to spend more time with my patient wife. That was the trade off this past fall. Good luck and may you catch that REALLY BIG Cow next season.
Tag & Release
Steve A.K.A. Tiderunner

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.