NorEast Fishing Forum banner

What are you reading now?

25K views 181 replies 50 participants last post by  Avenger 
#1 ·
Recently finished "The big oyster". I don't remember the author.( he also wrote "Cod"). Excellent read if you like old NYC history and, of course, oysters. The descriptions of the fishing in the NYC area in the 16,17, and 1800s will just blow your mind. Just finished Nelson Demilles "Night Falls" and currently into the follow-on "Wild Fire". Excellent reads.

#2 ·
Those **** Rebels

A book about the Revolutionary War as seen through British eyes...

Big Oyster, Cod and Salt, all excellent and written by the same author, Mark Kurlansky.

#12 ·
Fisherman's Ocean by David Ross

Mr. Ross was a scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and is a fisherman. His book is a good laymans-terms explanation of tides/currents/structure/habitat/fish species characteristics and some good catching tips based on the science.

I was sweating having to dig through a heavy scientific treatise but was surprised to find it easy and enjoyable to read.

He's also a columnist for Saltwater Fly Fisherman

I found out about this book from a previous thread similar to this one here on Noreast.

Thanks for the suggestions about some new stuff to read. I try to obtain a lot of the suggested books first through the library or inter library loan. That way I can decide if it's worth the money to purchase and keep or no.

- Jay

edit: can't spell for sh#t

This post edited by oldmil007 07:22 PM 02/11/2008

#15 ·
OTHS40 wrote:
Censoring Science.

A book about how the Government censors things happening in the Scientific world so that we, the people are always misinformed and lied to.

OK, are you really mesinger??????????

J/K Mes..............;)

Who has time to read anything:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just got the newest copies of US Bowler, American Scientific, and Discover.......
...............just gotta find the time.:rolleyes:

#17 ·
Why don't we set up a book exchange program? With the cost of books being what is it would definitely pay. Postage rates on books is way, way lower than the cost to purchase them. ****, even paperbacks go for $8 or $9 a pop. What do you guys think?

#20 ·
aja962 wrote:
Recently finished "The big oyster". I don't remember the author.( he also wrote "Cod"). Excellent read if you like old NYC history and, of course, oysters. The descriptions of the fishing in the NYC area in the 16,17, and 1800s will just blow your mind. Just finished Nelson Demilles "Night Falls" and currently into the follow-on "Wild Fire". Excellent reads.

I read "Cod" and "The Big Oyster" recently, also, loved both books! Another fishing related one I bought a few months ago is "Men's Lives", which is about the baymen out East. After reading it, I have a newfound respect for those who struggle to earn a living on the water.

#23 ·
Cod

A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World

The codfish lays a thousand eggs
The homely hen lays one.
The codfish never cackles
To tell you what she's done.
And so we scorn the codfish
While the humble hen we prize
Which only goes to show you
That it pays to advertise.
--anonymous American rhyme

#24 ·
I'm about 3/4 of the way thru Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day". Almost 64 years after D-Day reading about the invasion makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. A story about incredible courage, planning, luck (both good and bad). A great read!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.