NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question. I have begun to fish the south side of Montauk the past couple of years. It seems to me that putting on a wetsuit is ultimately a safer and more practical way to go when perching oneself on a rock at Browns, Kings, Caswells, etc. Not knowing a thing about wetsuits, what is the equipment I would need to invest in here. Things like: how thick a wetsuit, what accessories, what brands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
as far as brands go thats a matter of choice.... but you'll need a 6mm suit to keep you warm in the winter months. most guys go for the "farmer " style suit this way you can use it in warmer weather, just ware the bottom half. it's also a good idea to get a suit with re- enforced knee patches.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
A 6 or 7 mm suit will work well. I use my 7mm farmerjohn early and late in the season. The only drawback is that you really need to be in the water. I get very hot very quickly when the sun is out and it is a little warm. Otherwise, they work very well and you don't have to worry about wearing waders that can fill with water and keep you underwater.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You will never really find a 7mm wet suit from any of the big names anymore, most of the big or better name brands will only make up to 6mm being that the new material and tech is so advanced as well as all the little upgrades one can go with. However, 7mm booties are available, Rip Curl makes a 7mm arctic boot. If you go with a 6/5/4 mm suit (which is the thickest most namebrands make now days) with the 7mm booties you will be sweating even in the colder months unless you are planning to actually be in the water. A "farmer john" suit which is the long leg tank top is a good call, this way your legs will stay warm even if they are getting wet, and you can dress accordingly for the upper body. I have a full wetsuit selection to choose from here at my house, and I have never used a wetsuit ever while fishing, but if i was to do that, I would go with a 3mm farmer john with a choice of booties 2mm split toe or a 3mm bootie with the regular toe this will be perfect from may/june till just around or before thanksgiving. Then if you want to fish further into the winter go with a 7mm arctic bootie or a 5mm and the thicker suit. Cool thing is, they make fleese* rash gaurds and body suits now to wear under the suit. One of these will make your 3mm wet suit feel like a 4mm and you will not loose any mobility. They even warm up when they are wet as apposed to cotton. They are well worth the money, and you can take it off and go with the straight 3m as things heat up then use it again in the fall. If you were going to start up fishing with a wetsuit now you would definatly need the fleese up-grade for the 3 mm suit or maybe even a 4/3 wet suit. Hope this cleared things up for you. If you have any questions feel free to post them. Have you tried Neoprine wadders?
THEO

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more thing, If you do decide to go with the wetsuit, be sure to get those velcro strapes for your ankles. If you tuck the boot under the wesuit, then aply the velcro stap, this will tighten the seal and minimilze flushing of the suit. THEO

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more thing, If you do decide to go with the wetsuit, be sure to get those velcro strapes for your ankles. If you tuck the boot under the wesuit, then aply the velcro stap, this will tighten the seal and minimilze flushing of the suit. THEO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.