NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we are on the topic (see the Yamalube posting), let me inform you guys what I have discovered. You would assume that because West Marine is a large corporation they would have purchasing power and would pass that on to us. After shopping both West Marine & Bargain Bilge (both in Patchogue), I have found that Bargain Bilge is considerably cheaper on most items, large and small, same brands and model numbers. For example, an ATI double horn, $129 at WM, $99 at BB. A tube of 3M 101 Sealant, about a buck cheaper at BB. So what's up? Are we being gouged? Surely BB does not purchase the same volume of products as WM! Nuff said.

-Bill

· Registered
398 Posts
bargain bilge

captcrack,
i think i know what's up. competition - the american way. since westmarine opened up a store in patchogue, bargain bilge apparently has had to become more price competetive than they were when the closest west marine was in west islip or port jefferson. i only used to shop at bargain bilge when i was in a jam and couldn't/wouldn't take the ride for a lower price.
thanks for the update. i will give bargain bilge another look.

· Registered
56 Posts
bb

I agree w/Scratcher, parts dept is excellent. they have or know where to get every part i have ever needed, and with an old boat that's a real plus! Its also nice to frequent a local small business, rather than a big chain.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Knowledgable people

I was doing some work on my boat a couple weeks ago and stopped by WM to pick up some supplies and ask for advice. The PJ West Marine store is filled with young people who not only didn't know where anything was located but had no clue regarding how to answer my questions. I don't fault them they're just trying to make a buck during the summer but I've been to Bargain Bilge and they are both knowledgeble and cost efficient, I would definently recommend them if you by that area, Ditto DaveyJones and Scratcher their parts department is top shelf, very helpfull & knowledgeable

· Registered
39 Posts
WM is a complete rip off. I only shop there when I am in a bind. I use Boaters World, yet they only seem to stock the most common of parts and supplies. It's easy to see the a huge price difference between the two stores, because they both sell the same items.

· Registered
21 Posts
I got a 10.00 gift certificate in the mail from West Marine today.A Postcard type thing.Not like the usual West advantage type reward.Do you think it is a reaction to all the bad publicity over the Ocean Conservancy support issue?
It is too late for me,as I have already thrown out my West advantage card,and have spent my last money there.They usually didn't have what I wanted any way.
Mud Flat
RFA-member

· Registered
24 Posts
I received the same card in the mail today. I have not shopped there in over a year and I do not intend to any time in the future. Just a note I bought an electric igloo cooler for $99 at sports authority, the same exact cooler on sale at west marine $149.

· Registered
5,139 Posts
The Bilge

I have dealt with the BB for many years now and yes you might pay a little more for some items. The thing that is nice is that they are local and I have been on first bases with Ronnie, front man, and Richie, parts man who is probably the best in our area. If he doesn't have it he will find out for you who has it. He has done that for me a few times.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.