NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my youth I can remember weakfish, or spotted seatrout. In fact they even held their own catagory during our annual fishing tournement here on Marthas Vineyard. Where have they gone? What has happened to them? What little research I've done seems to say that they may be found from Cape Cod to Florida but rarely are found north of Delaware. Is this so? I figured that this would be the best place for an answer. Thank you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
weak fish

They are far and few between here to lower raritan bay Staten Island.
And no one talks about it, I see more stripers than weaks and the regs are a joke to.Friends tell me there is not too much science on the weaks, as there is bass.

·
Banned
2,305 Posts
We had a nice Weak run in October, it lasted about two weeks. Just drifted off the VZ bridge. Fish were going from three to 10 pounds and some a little bigger. The biggest ones we caught were in the five and six pound range.;)
I remember them when I was younger too, fishing under the bridge by Smitty's and using grass shrimp for both the Bass and Weaks.

Times change and so do fishing methods.

I think Capt. Andy and Capt. Rich did a show on it.

GO BIG BLUE !!!!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have heard of a few people taking them while fluking over here in southern C.T. The are quite rare, though. I have never caught one myself,but have heard the best bet at catching one is by fishing just like you would for fluke, in an area with some good chop. Bucktail jigs with squid are a good choice. When i went to Florida a few years back, i would see people targeting weakfish. They appear to be more abundant there, a likely result of the temperature difference. I have heard nothing that suggests they have disappeared due to a population decline. LIL VIKING, where did you get those? I certainly have never heard of a catch like that up here. Nice goin!

Good luck findin them Walt!
NanbayFluker

This post edited by NanbayFluker 08:14 PM 01/29/2008

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
very cyclical fish. some yrs a zillion spikes and not too many large, then for a few yrs you'll see bigger and none of the spikes. obviously that means leaner years are coming. predation is huge issue as well. but from what i understand, they are so cyclical that no matter what we do some years we'll have them, some years we wont.

·
Registered
942 Posts
gebby wrote:
very cyclical fish. some yrs a zillion spikes and not too many large, then for a few yrs you'll see bigger and none of the spikes. obviously that means leaner years are coming. predation is huge issue as well. but from what i understand, they are so cyclical that no matter what we do some years we'll have them, some years we wont.
That is so very true.It's like every seven years they are all over then it thins out alot.Then they are all over the place again.So like you said the leaner years are coming.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
lil viking nice fish, they look like spring run spawners?

and fishon2407 i actually think the opposite. i think it was last (06)summer that the 12-18 inch spikes were on the 'weakfish grounds' off the western south shore in early sept, like clockwork. yr before (05) we were catching 4 at a time on sabikis in the back when fishing for snappers for fluke bait, mid to late summer. and i think the south side of montauk was filled with the 3-5" ers this (07) late oct/nov. i remember someone said they hadnt seen them that late in a while. sooooo.....with respect to our esteemed weakfish slayers krebsy, lil viking, tiderunner, doughboy, spygull et al...i think we're in a doldrum now, and we may get a shot at a better sized biomass and larger sized fishery in the usual haunts in the next couple springs.

i could just be talking out my a$$ as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks gebby i only had one fish in the spring 6lb the rest of the fish were caught in mid september on kingfish they were the hot bait usualy snappers work well but you couldent beat the kings this year like kirk said for three weeks they were hot on plastics and bait small ones on plastics big ones on bait there were fish caught to 16lbs that week in the inlet most of the fish i caught were from 4to 9lbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.