NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best plastic worm or bait for Fluke and Weakfish? I am very new to using jigs for both fishes. What is the best color for the plastic bait? Is it pink or fluorescent green or another color?

Is there a better lure for both?

I will be using a 6'3" spinning with 10# big game on a pier.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The three jig colors that have worked best for me have been pink, white, and yellow. Not necessarily in that order.

I have found the best trailer is a pennant shaped piece of local squid. "Not Frozen" Get it from your local fish market. Hook it once through the fat end.

If you want to use worms. The Jelly worm colors I prefer are Strawberry, and Grape. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you're asking about Fin-S type lures, I use the following colors that seem to produce well for me:
Fluke: Arkansas Shiner, White, Chartreuse
Weakfish: Pink, Pink Ice

I've caught some nice sized fluke off a pier at night on plain white twister tails on a jig head.

Hope this helps some...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Weakfish A.K.A. Tiderunners

I have caught weakfish on a high/lo rig with a pieces of squid. It always worked for me. Also I use the good ole pink "salty dog" plastic shrimp with a piece of squid. When fishing the inlet from the beach I use yellow bucktails with squid or pork rind or even a hopkins lure with a yellow feather.
Great catching and great eating fish!
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Registered
338 Posts
weakfish

Spacegh8st
When fishing bucktails for weakfish I try to keep the bucktail as close to the bottown as possible using a skiping motion of lure. Hopkins with yellow feathers I use a medium retrieve. With Salty Dogs I use a slow to medium retrieve.
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Regarding the Fin-S bodies, last season the 5" olive/silver body was very hot for me for all fish. The only problem is finding that size in a shop. Often they have the 5 3/4" or 4 1/2" size and in this case I do think size matters. ;)

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.