NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spitzer about to give the green light:

Shell and TransCanada Energy, two of North America?s largest energy companies, are about to build a 10-story-high, liquid natural gas storage facility in the middle of the Long Island Sound.

The facility is going to be well over 100 feet tall.. It will be anchored 11 miles from Connecticut, and about 9 miles off the North Shore beaches in Brookhaven.

But, as most people know, the Sound is one of the most beautiful and significant bodies of water in the United States. In 1987, after Congress allocated funds for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to research, monitor, and assess the water quality of the Sound, it became an Estuary of National Significance. It contains thousands of species of wildlife, and is a vital part of our nation?s environment. And, it provides employment and recreational opportunities for hundreds of thousands of people throughout our region.

Over the past ten years, the federal government, and the states of Connecticut and New York, have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to restore and protect the water quality of this national treasure.

TransCanada and Shell have also made it clear that the natural gas they would import to the factory-like facility they call ?Broadwater? will be from sources outside of North America.

The NYC area will benefit from the project. Long Island will see little, if any of the natural gas stored in the massive containers of IMPORTED
(we are the Saudi Arabia of Natural Gas
) GAS..

The plan is that Long Island will see lower electric payments
because of all the gas they are going to sell to CT and NYC, so the operating expenses of the old infrastructure wil be partially paid out of the profits
. NYC and CT will benefit the most, however Connecticut made it clear that all traffic, pipelines, construction and cost stay completely within New York Boundries.. see map.

Next of course is what the Lobbyists are so trying to squash. You can't rebuild the world trade center with two towers because of concerns of another dive bombing plane.. but you can subject Brookhaven residents, particularly those that are the most vulnerable stretched along the North Shore's famous "Bluffs" of LI , of a massive shock wave with a catatrophic blast wave with a 20 mile radius, meaning that in effect the balst wave itself would wipe out the northern side of LI and 10 miles inland of CT... that is the big hush hush oh yeah we'll have security... wink wink... don't worry..

how much does your campaign need wink wink...

This post edited by likeitreallyis 06:11 PM 02/01/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike

I knew you would be the first to respond, thanks for taking the bait.

Yes you old Republicans stand to make a killing. Profits are going to go through the roof.. (nice report on EXXON making the history books as the most profitable ever, heard the CEO is going to make BILLIONS... (that's how you save more than $300 dollars a year by the way, Mike...)

....and if you believe those profits are going to to be spent on aging infrastructure and the profit sharing going to be put back into the LIPA bill payers
I'll direct you to my site on ebay that sells bags of beach sand for $20.

I've sold some some.

There are people as gullable as you.

But as long as you're still safe in Candy Land, Rhode Island, USA, and your holdings continue to grow at any cost, hey that just makes you a good old boy now don't it..

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
likeitreallyis wrote:
I knew you would be the first to respond, thanks for taking the bait.

Yes you old Republicans stand to make a killing. Profits are going to go through the roof.. (nice report on EXXON making the history books as the most profitable ever, heard the CEO is going to make BILLIONS... (that's how you save more than $300 dollars a year by the way, Mike...)

....and if you believe those profits are going to to be spent on aging infrastructure and the profit sharing going to be put back into the LIPA bill payers
I'll direct you to my site on ebay that sells bags of beach sand for $20.

I've sold some some.

There are people as gullable as you.

But as long as you're still safe in Candy Land, Rhode Island, USA, and your holdings continue to grow at any cost, hey that just makes you a good old boy now don't it..

What did I do to deserve that? I also heard an ad sell BMWs on the radio this morning, does that make me a auto magnate? I think I also heard an ad for the University of Phoenix, maybe I'm a dean? Maybe you too should tune into new radio 88, you'll be a millionaire in no time!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike no offense I like you don't get me wrong..

But that's the typical type response I expected. It's never about the future of the country, the downward spiral of outsourcing jobs, the steady loss of domestic products to a flood of cheap ripoffs it's always about the money to you...

I expected that. But soon some may say that maybe he's right.

Solutions exist.

Wind farms pushed out a little further beyond the horizon. Solar Panels on EVERY home, (probably about the cost of the Iraq war)..

Turn off some streetlights. Hydrogen fueled cars. Fields of corn watered with desalinized water from the ocean for ethanol.. natural gas for your automobile as well as hydrogen for planes, cars and trucks. Proven fuel cell technology with nothing but CLEAN water as it's waste (water them corn fields too?)...

I can go on and on. Electricity is simple. A bar through a coil. Move it and that's all you need to do. I'm tired of the LIPA bar in my coil. This is all about profits and not a solution for our future needs and a potential deathtrap for myself, not to mention my favorite beaches in the world would become nothing more than a giant shipping lane for a massive stucture that would be a tremendous eyesore... save a couple of bucks? At what cost?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
likeitreallyis wrote:
Mike no offense I like you don't get me wrong..

But that's the typical type response I expected. It's never about the future of the country, the downward spiral of outsourcing jobs, the steady loss of domestic products to a flood of cheap ripoffs it's always about the money to you...

I expected that. But soon some may say that maybe he's right.

Solutions exist.

Wind farms pushed out a little further beyond the horizon. Solar Panels on EVERY home, (probably about the cost of the Iraq war)..

Turn off some streetlights. Hydrogen fueled cars. Fields of corn watered with desalinized water from the ocean for ethanol.. natural gas for your automobile as well as hydrogen for planes, cars and trucks. Proven fuel cell technology with nothing but CLEAN water as it's waste (water them corn fields too?)...

I can go on and on. Electricity is simple. A bar through a coil. Move it and that's all you need to do. I'm tired of the LIPA bar in my coil. This is all about profits and not a solution for our future needs and a potential deathtrap for myself, not to mention my favorite beaches in the world would become nothing more than a giant shipping lane for a massive stucture that would be a tremendous eyesore... save a couple of bucks? At what cost?

O.K. Just for the **** of it I'll play devils advocate. Wouldn't this project create more U.S. Jobs? Is foeign natural gas somehow inferior in quality to domestic natural gas?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have posted about BROADWATER....several times in the past ,,,,almost no response.......here we are about 10 days before approval and now it's going to get addressed...If you guys are getting tired of getting beat up by fishery managment...how can you let a company that shows record profits industrialize a known estuary??Look at the numbers of waterbourne larvae that will get sucked up and pumped over dead,after it gets treated with bleach.Millions and millions of gallons of water per day all containing larvae,and juvinille fish that would normally exist.I make my living on LIS,and support my family on LIS...but we want to fight amongst each other and fail to address the big monsters.This thing is huge and so is it's impacts..Might be worth looking into..Got no winter flounders.....maybe condos and waterfront development did it.Got no fish..............well at least you will save $300 a year if BROADWATER GETS THEIR WAY.....But don't forget you can always blame the ill-informed commercial fishermen.Ahhhhhhhhhhh why do i waste my breath.HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!

This post edited by commfish 07:02 PM 02/01/2008

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
properly managed wind farm projects, solar installations, hydrogen power, properly managed smaller, safer natural gas installations, perhaps underground.. start bringing the troops home and divert some of that money into our aging infrastructure in the Metro are alone, these would create jobs ten fold at least.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I really got to laugh....almost 5 years in the making....and finally somebody other than my self...has something to say........where were you guys????????????I have spent countless hours in meetings,both opposing BW and in meetings with BW......Spoke with alot of media,politicians,and interviews.....here it is crunch time........And you are just getting it.TICK -TOCK-TICK-TOCK.........Soon to be done unless we can do something to get rid of this thing that is proposed to be located in the middle of estuary...

·
Registered
747 Posts
O.K. Enough with the bickering. Is there a group we can contribute to who maybe can do the patriotic ,all-American thing and get an injunction against this thing or maybe start a lawsuit? It ain't over yet if we make enough noise.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aja962 wrote:
O.K. Enough with the bickering. Is there a group we can contribute to who maybe can do the patriotic ,all-American thing and get an injunction against this thing or maybe start a lawsuit? It ain't over yet if we make enough noise.

There are petitions at this week's boat show atthe coliseum. Please find them if anypne is going and let me know if they were found easily and you were able to sign.

What really has to happen is the ones who live up there wake up and realize what the area will become and the houses will be even a harder sell once the terminals go up and the ships get stacked up right out their window.. not to mention an explosion with a 20 mile balst radius. They're sitting ducks up there, and they have the money to fight it, that's what it's going to take unfortunately lots of $$$$$$

I'm sure the Oil companies have Spitzer set up with a nice retirement package when he leaves office, and the state, and after he does the damage...

we can't win this one. They have all our money and can push us little people around in the search of even more record breaking profits... we can't stop it.

McCain and the Republicans endorse the project.
Hillary is opposed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm curious, but what is your source of the "20 mile explosion radius" you keep refering to?

FWIW, LNG has an extremely high safety record across the globe. There is not one single instance of blasts anywhere near what you're talking about. You have to go back to 1948 to find a single explosion that caused any significant destruction and this facility was on land, not 9 miles from shore. Terminals today are engineered a heck of alot safer than they where 70 years ago.

There are LNG terminals all over the US operating today. They're often in residential neighborhoods with barely any notice.

We all want cheap energy and cry foul when the prices go up. We blame the local utilities, Exxon, the governement, etc etc....but we're unwilling to make any changes to improve things.

Natural Gas is a cheaper fuel to make electricity and heat than Crude Oil products. In order to tap into cheaper foreign Natural Gas we need an infrastruture to support it via Liquid Natural Gas. Broadwater is a means to do that, and I applaud the efforts of the government to facilitate it.

Now, do I like a terminal in the middle of LI Sound? NO, I don't, but we have to give a little to get a little. The Enviro wackos, lead by the likes of Hillary Clinton, would never allow for a land based terminal like this one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
likeitreallyis wrote:
Hydrogen fueled cars. Fields of corn watered with desalinized water from the ocean for ethanol.. natural gas for your automobile as well as hydrogen for planes, cars and trucks. Proven fuel cell technology with nothing but CLEAN water as it's waste (water them corn fields too?)...

Quote edited for length by me.
Solar and wind are good ideas. Some easily done conservation that is readily available now is the first step. Hydrogen is a long ways off. What about some decent CARB standards? Oh ya, oil man in the white house. The current ethanol from corn thing is a scam. With the land for production and the cost of energy to produce ethanol from corn it is not an answer only a cash cow for a few. There is research going on to produce ethanol from just about any biomass that looks very promising and if it pans out will be a much better and realistic answer.

As far as those offshore LNG facilitys we are going through the same here in California. They even wanted to put one in the port at Long Beach. So far they have all been shot down but it keeps coming back up. As you say lots of $$$ to be made with the promise that everyone will benefit. Ya RIGHT!

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Hello!!!
Anyone home?
We've seen 9-11...
And guess what?
They will be back!
Not if...
when!
And unfortunately the next time will make 9-11 seem like a warmup.

Having a massive amount of gas sitting in the Sound is rediculous.
I think its a really bad idea...
but money talks and regular folks are expendable.
As long as the politicians make some nice $$ who cares.

JMetaxas wrote:
I'm curious, but what is your source of the "20 mile explosion radius" you keep refering to?

FWIW, LNG has an extremely high safety record across the globe. There is not one single instance of blasts anywhere near what you're talking about. You have to go back to 1948 to find a single explosion that caused any significant destruction and this facility was on land, not 9 miles from shore. Terminals today are engineered a heck of alot safer than they where 70 years ago.

There are LNG terminals all over the US operating today. They're often in residential neighborhoods with barely any notice.

We all want cheap energy and cry foul when the prices go up. We blame the local utilities, Exxon, the governement, etc etc....but we're unwilling to make any changes to improve things.

Natural Gas is a cheaper fuel to make electricity and heat than Crude Oil products. In order to tap into cheaper foreign Natural Gas we need an infrastruture to support it via Liquid Natural Gas. Broadwater is a means to do that, and I applaud the efforts of the government to facilitate it.

Now, do I like a terminal in the middle of LI Sound? NO, I don't, but we have to give a little to get a little. The Enviro wackos, lead by the likes of Hillary Clinton, would never allow for a land based terminal like this one.

This post edited by PaddleOn 02:33 PM 02/02/2008

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Another thought...
If natural gas is so much cheaper then why is my oilheating bill the same as my 4 neighbors natural gasheating bill?

Its all a crock of BS.
This country is no longer "for the people by the people"

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
PaddleOn wrote:
Another thought...
If natural gas is so much cheaper then why is my oilheating bill the same as my 4 neighbors natural gasheating bill?

Its all a crock of BS.
This country is no longer "for the people by the people"

I beg to differ with the natural gas bill. Mine is much lower then my neighbors
everything else I agree with

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flukinicehole wrote:
Hey it would bring plenty of cover for the tog

Flukin:

The proposed security plan includes a 5 mile mutually exclusive security zone, the area will be off limits entirely.

In fact, the length of of the sound for the pipelines for this Connecticut power plant, must remain in NY waters, and will be relatively shallow and include no anchor zones across major portions of the sound, including Mamoromac harbor which will act as a main bleed off point with smaller pipelines creating more no anchor zones so good luck on your Blackfish attempts, they are about to alter some fine structure as well as dredge up old toxins while laying down the pipe...

Also, worth mentioning about the average $25 month LIPA is willing to give back to the LIPA bill payers, is the fact they raised the bills this year in anticipation of this already, mine went up $70 this month, although it has been warm, and I added nothing to increase my electricity use....in fact turned off a bait freezer to save energy :confused:

The $25 a month supposed payback profit sharing plan on the imported gas sold to NYC and CT, is based on 2006 cost estimates, it has been made clear that any cost overuns that exceed the "estimate" will chip away at the $25 a month payback, and in fact may cost LIer's even more if costs increase in anyway....

Lacking in the report is the explosion of the price of copper alone since 2006...

The real truth is it will cost LIPA rate payers even more money, they already started collecting the war chest via your increased LIPA bill this year, and LI will see little, if any of the proposed Connecticut/NYC power plant. LI sees only the bill, all the shipping lanes, the exclusion zones, the 10 story eyesore, the dug up toxins, and the threat of a dive bombing airliner every day, which lies directly in the flight path of all 3 major NY/NJ airports....

The broadwater website itself will not even show you what this superstructure even looks like, just beautiful pictures of the Long Island Sound.... hmmm...

This post edited by likeitreallyis 10:07 AM 02/03/2008

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.