NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
robins

Thats not a bad idea...i bet some foreign markets would love them, asians, europeans, they would prolly pay big bucks especially if we could sell them live...they like that. We obviously have quite the supply but no demand...how could we make one?

HOOD

· Registered
106 Posts
No it doesnt but when your at the cutting board with a catch of tuna it gets annoying when they constantly try and barter or buy the tuna from you, obviously if your there cutting and bagging the steaks your intentions are not to sell the fish...

· Banned
66 Posts
maybe i am mis-reading this thread,but i think there is a reason for sea robins to be in the eco system.i see too many people wanting to eliminate certain species because they have no food value,they stel bait,they are this that or the other thing.i have no idea why they are in the eco system but i am sure nature and evolution has a reason why they are.

one other thing,if someone is trying to buy fish you want to keep i think saying NO and then ignoring them will get the message across.

just my opinion.

· Registered
232 Posts
I too think that there is a reason for the sea robins existance in our waters. With that being said on eo fthe reasons that we hunt game is to cull from the system and correct an unbalance that we are partly the cause of. The shear number of these birds that are brought up on the boat that I work for is unbelievable. I certainly think that if there were a use for them (we sometimes give them to the lobersterman for bait) then there is no reason not to keep them and use them just like any other resource. I don't want to eliminate them just reduce the population to more healthy numbers. Sometimes too many is just as bad as too little. Just me $.02

· Registered
955 Posts
Nature of course has her reasons for all species, sea robins included. We should just be thankful that there are still fish to catch. I do my part in trying to introduce kids to fishing and many a day has been saved for a seven year old who has caught "only" a couple of sea robins. Funny how kids don't care what they are catching as long as there is a bend in their rod. We adults have lost this appreciation somewhere along the line. By the way, recently I caught sea robins on small diamond jigs and rebel plugs while casting for schoolie bass from the beach. Amazing little predators these sea robins. Also saw one caught on Georges Bank while codfishing (yes a sea robin, not a sea raven). Even the mates had never seen one this far offshore.

· Registered
5 Posts
I for one catch my more than fair share and I have heard that the are good to eat, though I've never met a single human who's actually done it. Have you really eaten them and are they really good. I'll try anything once. Started doing that when I was 13 and for the most part, I liked it.

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Wow... I am gone for a few days and what do I find. :)

Here is my two cent's worth regarding the Sea Robins.

First of all... I think we should be blessed to have such fish! It has values to commercial lobsterman, kid enjoys the bend of rods, it makes great fluke bait and to few... they are tasty. The last thing you want is a size and bag limit because we will easily destroy the population in no time!

FYI: The reason why you are catching more Sea Robins this time of the year is because April and May is the spawning season (like tautog, weakfish, Stripers and other critters that swims our waters).

I also believe that there is a reason why they are in our waters (found baby sea robins in large stripers and weakfish). ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.