NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about the sinking of the USS Murphy off NY/NJ.
The destroyer USS Murphy sank about 75 miles off NY after an 8000 ton oil tanker cut it in two. 35 men died.
The stern was towed back to the Brooklyn Navy yard and a new bow was welded on .
Its on Sat. Jan 26 at 12pm.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
Vector wrote:
The destroyer USS Murphy sank about 75 miles off NY after an 8000 ton oil tanker cut it in two. 35 men died.
The stern was towed back to the Brooklyn Navy yard and a new bow was welded on .

I'm confused. The boat was considered sunk?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jpd wrote:
Vector wrote:

I'm confused. The boat was considered sunk?

The bow sank , the stern was towed back to NY harbor.

The Tanker had special acoustic sensers placed on the side of the hull that could hear a torpedo in the water.The tanker crew heard noise that sounded like a torpedo and they immediatly changed direction and they sailed directly towards the destroyer by mistake.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
That was a good show

Both running in blackout conditions, with the best guidance equipment of the time. It reminded me a lot of the Stockholm turning into the Andrea Doria in 1956, in that case too both captains misread the readings they were getting and one steered directly into the other ship.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.