NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting out -- could use some advice on what kind of waders to get. Neoprene? Breathable? Boots? Stocking feet? Any advice is appreciated.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Get Red Ball Master waders. They're tough, medium wait, decent insulation and moderately priced.

After you get a few seasons under your belt and see the kind of fishing you like to do then you can "upgrade" to neos or breathables or stocking etc depending on your needs.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at the 10-5-01 spacegh8st's question regarding waders. Im new at this as well, and i have redball neoprene waders. I like them, they work. Everything on them is plastic, so its one less thing to rust. Maintenance involves rinsing them off and hanging them. These waders are warm for the type of weather we've been having; however, I wear shorts or remove my jacket or sweatshirt.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Boot foot means the boot (shoe) part of the wader is attached at the end of the legs. Stocking foot means there is no boot and the end of legs are like a pair of children's PJ's (like a big pair of socks). You have to buy a wading shoe to put over the stocking end.

IMO boot foot is better. With stocking foot you have to always put on/off the shoe (and one more thing to forget to bring), it's hard to attach Korkers to the shoe, and sooner or later you'll get sand or a pebble into the shoe. That's both painful and wears out the stocking foot part very quickly.

OTOH, stocking foot waders do tend to be lighter weight.

I'd say go for the bootfoot for now. Later you can try stocking if you really want.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agreee with Jaiem. If you're fishing the surf, and don't want to walk on a mound of sand under your stockfoot within your boot, get the bootfoot wader. You will definitely get sand inside your boot from fishing in the surf which will rub on your wader stockingfoot and wear it out, if you choose to combine the stockingfoot with a wader boot. You also have to wear a sock under and over the wader for breathability as well as to protect the foot of the stockingfoot from sand abrasion. So, why not just go for the bootfoot which will keep the sand out entirely? I use the Orvis breathables and since they, as well as most bootfoot breathables, seem to have a leakage problem, I rely on their guarantee and return them if they get wet inside. Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
someone suggested the following site. Sierratradingpost.com They have a bunch of waders and some b/c they hae limited size are deep discount I was lucky enought o get a pair of Neoprene orignal price $150.00 for $39.95 b/c they only had size 10 left. One suggestion is that you get one size bigger so you can layer clothes under if you fish in cold weather.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would pour some baking soda in there and then once they are dry rise out then throw a couple of those Bounce fabric softner sheets into them. Assuming you do you own laundry thats what the little wifey throws into the dryer ( those white sheets that smell good).

·
Registered
1 Posts
coachd - Stinky waders?
Try some "fresh pants" from Loon Outdoor Products. It is a spray that will safely sterilize (kills bacteria) and deoderize your neoprene waders. Your fishing buddies will thank you!

Fish on!
Rich

·
Registered
166 Posts
I HAVE STOCKING FOOT WADERS AND I LOVE THEM. I DON`T WHERE SOCKS INSIDE OR OUTSIDE OF THEM. I JUST RUN A PIECE OF DUCK TAPE AROUND THE TOP OF THE BOOT WHERE IT MEETS THE WADER AND I DON`T GET ANY SAND IN THE BOOT. I`TS TAKE 30 SECONDS (15 EACH BOOT) AND IS NO BIG DEAL. THE BOOTS I WEAR HAVE A BUCKLE FOR THE KOOKERS SO I CAN`T LOSE THEM. I HAVE HAD BOTH AND FOR ME STOCKING FOOT IS THE WAY TO GO.

Good fishing Wackey

G

·
I'm with WAC on this....stocking foot waders are
better, safer, more mobile and lighter. About the
Korkers....they take about a minute to put on the
boot. I also screw a galvinized 2 1/2' deck screw
into the heel of the korker thru to the boot. You
never lose one that way. Add gators to your boot
tops if you're worried about rocks and sand. The
wader is also cheaper to replace and they are MUCH
easier to walk in. That's my opinion...I HAVE
TRIED BOTH METHODS, WHAT ABOUT THE NAY
SAYERS?....

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Roc,

I agree that gators help but they don't eliminate sand and rocks eventually getting in. Also one more piece of equipment to remember to bring and put on.

Also agree about screwing in the Korker. But 2.5" screw? That seems awfully long. I use 1.5 sheet metal screw and that's been fine.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

G

·
Jaime..that's what's so great about our
sport...for every person who fishes there's
another way to do something, and I've learned
something from just about every fisherperson I've
met, so with that in mind I gave my opinion, and
you gave yours. In the end no one's right and no
one's wrong. God Bless America.
PS....I like the extra bite I get with the longer
screws...I've used the 1 1/2" screw on my bootfoot
waders but moved up to the longer screws on my
felt bottom wading boots.
best fishes

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have used both, and it comes down to personal preference, stocking foot are more comfortable, for those long hikes down the beach, but you will get sand and pebles that is quite annoying the boot foots I think are less maintenance but harder to move around in. As for korkers I have not done too much rock hopping so I don't know but would think there is less mobility with the boot foot

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I just picked up a set of Crystal River Rubber Hip Waders at Sports Authority $29, with no tax on clothing. There easy on & easy off. I tried them out this morning at a beach off Rocky Point & their great! I went into water just above my knees and that was fine for casting. No fish biting today & no splashing out of range. I plan to take my trips before work so I need to be quick. I also found Neoprene Gloves at Wal-Mart for $8. It was a little tricky casting with them on, but no cold hands. It was strange seeing Bouy-9 from the shore.

Great fishing to all...
God Bless America!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for the record, I wound up buying a pair of Orvis breathable stockingfoot waders, and a pair of cleated wading boots. The waders are high backs, and work great! I should also mention they were on sale for $98 @ orvis.com. I bought some boots from LL Bean which are probably better for freshwater fishing (they have some leather on 'em which will be ruined in the salt water i'm sure!). But these are great -- like wearing comfortable hiking boots. I can crawl all over the jetties with these babies. No problem with sand, etc.

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.