NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you guys get up to the Pocono's at all, check out the flea market at Marshalls Creek. You can get any wader you want for like $35. Can't beat that with a stick.

johnny

P.S. What Local you guys from? I'm Local 102 in Parsippany NJ.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Personally, I prefer booted waders, not stocking foot.

Neos are good but very hot in the warmer months or if you take long walks.

Red Ball is a good pair. Also check out their Master Waders. You can get a pair of neos cheaply from Cabelas if you are sure of your size.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
23 Posts
try this...

STRONGLY suggest you consider breathables in a stocking foot instead. Ever notice anyone in neoporene waders who DID NOT sweat other than in perhaps November/December?

Some people complain that a stocking foot wader will allow sand into the wading shoe/boot. I have not had this problem. Get waders with gravel guards. If you are fishing the North Shore the "sand" there is more like gravel anyway.

Breathables:
1) MUCH MORE comfortable
2) You will not sweat
3) Easy on and off
4) The stocking foot with a pair of wading shoes makes you much more mobile... walking any beach in boots you will tire fast.
5) Wading shoes/low cut boots are light weight... like wearing sneakers compared to those rubber boots on the booted models. You are more mobile and thus safer.
6) Wading shoes/boots are designed to be worn w/ a neopoerene foot. The wading shoes/boots allow water inside which you will not feel, and which will quickly drain out when you exit the water.
7) In the cooler months I wear either long johns or sweat pants under them and stay toasty warm. The breathable pants are supposed to be bagy and loose.
8) The only down side is that it takes a few more seconds to put the wading shoes/boots on and off.

Take a look at http://www.cabelas.com
Look under clothing/footwear/waders/fishing waders
They have all kinds of waders from $50 - $300.

I purchased their mid-level breathable II, 2 years ago... and they should last me another season at least. Only had to make one repair to the stocking foot neoporene which was my fault by stretching it once.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
I have 2 pairs:
1 a neoprene from Cabals ($89)
1 Red Ball from Sports Authority ($69)

Both with the boot as part of the waders. Use the Red Balls in the warm weather & the Neoprene diuring the colder part of the season.

Would suggest getting them with the boot built in. Why have to deal with 2 parts - when one will do.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I agree .......breathables are the way to go....
I have tried all kinds of waders .....pvc...........neoprene
Breathables are much more comfortable and for the tag ends of the season when you need to be warmer fleece pants are plenty.
My suggestion........Orvis has entry level breathables at about $145 and their 4 yr unconditional gaurantee can't be beat.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Breathables are good but they are still a bit too "hit or miss" (in terms of getting a good pair or a leaker) for me to have total confidence in buying them at current prices. Doesn't matter the brand.

Another year and I think the manufactures will have all the kinks out of the process. Plus the price will probably come down more.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.