NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the going opinion of the Penn Z series? I just picked up a 704Z and was wondering what some of you who have owned one for a while thing about it...

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
First of all, why bad mouth Van Staal,
The nerve of a company to make a better balanced, better sealed product than any other spinning reel made ever. Granted they are expensive but they work and people buy them, I own 5 of them and never had a problem. The stella is more and it leaks.
As far as bad customer service, my buddys 200 made noise after the service, probabally nothing and they had it back to him with in 5 days of the phone call.
Penn Z series reels are great for the money, and why would any one get rid of something made simple that still sells great, but if you need water proof VS is the only way to go, unless you want to spend 150+ on mitchell, I watched one of them blow up with the first fish last saturday night.
I am abusive with my tackle and I have never have had a problem, and I am proud to keep the money in this country.

Sorry for venting
Matt

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Penn 704z is a true working horse of surf reels. It's easy to clean, service and inexpensive to repair. The drag and the cup could be better, but dollar for dollar I think it's a great buy. I've been fishing the south shore surf for over 25 years. I own 4 original green penns and three newer black penn 704z. The Van Stall is a beautiful reel with real smooth operation, but not worth the money. If your VS reel fails you at Montauk your screwed unless you have a back up. (all surf fisherman should carry a back up reel when fishing Montauk) Then you have to send the VS back to them for repairs. And to keep the lifetime warranty it cost about $50.00/yr. Go with the penn. It works and is MUCH CHEAPER.
Tag & Release
Tiderunner

This message was edited by Tiderunner on 10-27-01 @ 10:35 AM

·
Registered
126 Posts
Lot of great points by everyone. I don't get to go that often. I catch big fish LESS often than that (Obviously). I agree with Tiderunner, to maintain that warantee you can almost buy a 704Z online, I've seen them for $67 at tackle-direct.

Both are made in US but while one may be a Chevy, I guess the other is a Rolls Royce. Hey, if you can budget it and it turns you on, WHY NOT? After the crap from Sept 11th, life's too short NOT to enjoy yourself a little, even if it is something as simple as buying an "expensive" reel. For me, I don't think the sea robbins will know the difference.

My two cents.

Have fun in the fall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hookt,

The 704Z is a fantastic reel. You can put them through **** and back and they'll be no worse for wear. They clean easy and repairs (if necessary)are a snap. I've owned 3 and they've never let me down and I have no intention of ever fishing with anything else.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had a long chat with Rob from VS about a month ago, and he did confirm that they are looking to reorg as a tackle manufacurer only. They actually want to expand their product line to include conventional reels, and offshore reels as well. As far as their service is concerned, it IS NOT $50 per year for warrenty service, only the cost of shipping via UPS. They have to charge for non warrenty repairs as do all manufacturers of fishing gear, or any thing else for that matter. Companies cannot stay in business if they do repairs for free. They reason they ask to have their reels returned annually, is so that they can replace any seals that are worn. I believe that their reels are worth the money, as long as you make sure to send them back for warrenty maintenance every year. I also heard a rumor that they may authorize some tackle shops for repairs in the future

Good Luck and Tight Lines

G

·
bassman909...are you saying that there is no
charge other than shipping for the VS reels annual
maintenacne.I don't believe it. Where did you get
this info? Please respond quickly as there is
hundreds of people who would love to hear this is
so.regards. r

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
They changed their policy recently. It used to be that you only had to pay for shipping. Now they make you pay $36.95 a year. Not as good as it used to be, but still not bad.
I belive they have only done this recently, when I spoke with them in August, they didn't make you pay. Here is the URL with the information on the program http://www.vanstaal.com/news/maintenance.html

G

·
bassman909....I've owned Van Staal for 5-6 years.
They always had a yearly maintenance charge. To
keep the warranty in force you HAD to have it
serviced by THEM yearly.It has not changed. You're
misinform

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know I am going to regret saying this but I have to agree with mattyblazer.

bassman909, what are you saaayying?
Do you have to pull your pants down when you talk out of your but?
VS has always had a charge for service. The price might have been cheaper a few years ago, but there has always been one!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
First off, Basshole, why do you have to be such an ass. If I am missinformed so be it, but you don't have to be such a jerk. I did'nt send my VS's back last year, but I did the year before, and all I had to pay was shipping and handling. And, in fairness to Van Staal, I did have a problem with my VS150 this year, and because I missed shipping it back last year I had to pay for the repair, however, they informed me that if I started sending the reel back again regularly, they would put me back on warrenty so I would'nt have to pay for repairs again.
Why don't you go catch some fish, maybe you'll become a nicer guy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So as not to offend anyone.... I have edited this post and have removed all mention of the VS reels and the Penn reels.... who the heck cares anyway?

Use what you wish...
spend your money as you will...
Fish where you want...
But PLEASE!!!! .....

Do not be the guy in sneakers who is drowning clams when everyone else on the jetty is tossing plugs!

Gobble Gobble

This message was edited by jcumella on 11-20-01 @ 7:03 PM

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That's ok, my best friend is the same way.The more he catches the less sleep he gets and the more cranky he gets.
Now, why don't you go and get a couple of eels and break their backs!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
How come the guys who use van staal dont bitch about penn, you're right I will go and throw them all out, so that I can go backward to something that needs to be cleaned every time it gets dunked.
Psychiatric evaluation? How about spell check?

This message was edited by mattyblazer on 11-16-01 @ 9:11 PM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Listen, if you can't afford a v.s., don't knock it. I enjoy catching all the fish I've been catching with my v.s. I use my penn reels as "loaner" reels to friends. My friend had a penn 704z bust apart when fighting a big blue. Even more recent, another friend had a week old 706z break on him while fighting a fish. The handle would turn but the reel didn't.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You know, this class warfare bull**** that breaks out every time someone mentions tackle that costs more than a Blue Light Special is getting old real quick. Guy asks a question about specific rods in a certain price bracket, you can bet your bottom dollar that before the thread is over, someone is gonna pipe in with some comment about catching as many fish on a cheap rod. Makes people less willing to answer questions---even more so, it discourages the guys who really want---and need---the info from asking them. I ignored it in the one thread I saw, but when I clicked on this one and saw the same guys starting the same crap, I just had to vent.

You spend your money the way you want, and let everyone else spend money the way they want, and we'll all get along just fine.

I always found it curious that this website, centered as it is on Long Island with thousands of surf fishermen, gets as little daily traffic as it does. It isn't curious any more---it happens for a reason. Flame wars get old and people go to places where the webmaster squelches them before it turns readers off.

This message was edited by Mike P on 11-17-01 @ 7:47 PM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes! This discussion is getting old so why not throw in some other brands of reels and reely stir up the hornets nest. I can't believe no one has discussed the venerable old Diawa Silver Series 7000. Shhh.......... This was probably the finest mass produced non-machined reel ever made. You Penn turkeys have been having too many Thanksgivings ever since the 704 was discovered. Surely it deserves some accolades but that cannot be done untill the bail is removed. Van Stahls are great works of art and probably good reels although they seem a bit hard to crank but world records can be set on cheap discount department store tackle. We revel in the garbage of the mass market place so why stop now with fishing reels? Where is all the humor, creativity, curiosity and experimentation here? Penn, Penn, Penn and more Penn cannot be all there are? Hence, hiding on the shelf in some vast lonely K-Mart, Wal Mart or even Sports Authority is perhaps another holy grail which can be worshipped, respected, abused, used, worked, tweaked, peaked and forgotten as the old Diawa 7000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.