NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh wise Buddhalberto,
Can you offer any insight on the recent weather volatility and how it may effect the South Shore JB fishing.

I think I asked you this question recently about the COLD weather quickly turning to HOT which lead to an early start to the season but how about the current trend where we have a couple days of extreme heat and now this weekend with potential highs of only 70s. Am I reading too much into it or can you offer some insight on potential effects to the SOuth Shore fishing with this volitile weather we are having.

Thanks,

Space

· Registered
1,679 Posts
HI,

A few swings of the temp on a daily basis really does't do too much except change the surface water temp for a short period. It's a big ocean and it takes a long period of temperature swings to make a significant difference.

This very warm winter may have an effect of some sort.

Capt. Marc

· Registered
30 Posts
WEATHER OPINIONS/KAREN ANN CHARTERS

Weather impacts fisherman more than fish,meaning climatic conditions hamper your ablility to fish. During a long season one constantly makes adjustments dictated by weather.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Capts. I'm at a lost with these replys,

One of the mildest winters on record, record setting 3 days in mid April that sent OCEAN temps from 45 - 53 degs in 4 days.
Macks were caught all year off NJ, easy 3 weeks early out of JI.
Bass caught all winter, I caught them 2 weeks ago myself.
Blue claw crabs were brought into my dock last week.
Bluefish have been on the macks and have been caught.
And the fluke are in weeks early.
Now, doesnt that mean when you have an exceptionally mild winter with an April heat wave you'll see the fish come around very early and put on the feed bag???
I think so, alan

· Registered
129 Posts
Last week the temperatures were in the high 80s to mid 90s and now the forcast for this week is high 50s to mid 60s... THATS A 30 DEGREE DROP!!! How do you think this will effect the fishing, especially from the surf for stripers?

MATT

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Hi Folks,

I've been monitoring this warm weather closely and the truth of the matter is…. I've been out fishing and all I can say is … the fish are already in!

I've been on the water (6 days a week) and I've caught the following species from the shore already… Flounder, Stripers, Weakfish, Blackfish, Bergel, shad. accidental Fluke, Ocean Sea Robin and even a Bluefish!

Much to my surprise, here are the evidences.

The bergels are inshore (which means the tautog has been inshore for a least 2 weeks)…

Heard of searobin are around… (Which means the fluke are in the bay for quite sometime)….

Bass are taking surface lure (which means they are extremely active - due to the warm water temp. and heavy competition)

The GSB flounder are in the mouth of the Inlet… (this phenomenon generally happens in late May!)

What more evidence do you need? :)

All in all, it's time to get out and enjoy this very unusual warm season! For those who are not familiar with the regulations… Just remember the following: Blackfish needs to be 14", the Striped Bass season is closed until May 8 (Catch & Release only), Flounder is 11", Weakfish needs to be 16", the Fluke season is still closed (report to be in within two weeks)…

Tight Lines!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.