NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 82 year old Mom is about to switch from cable to FIOS TV. She's doing it to save $$$$ and really doesn't watch any channels past 13.

She got answers from Verizon (nothing in writing and I just want to confirm)

She has 3 TV's normally hooked up but no cable boxs. The house was wired about 7 years ago by Cablevision (and a couple rooms by me for cable) HD is not an issue.

1. Will/can Verizon hook FIOS into the old cables? They told her YES.

2. Does she need a box (and a monthly fee) for each TV? When the Grandkid's come they like to hide in an unused bedroom, move the TV in and watch. It's just not worth the $$$ every month for an extra box.

3. Are the local channels available and at the same channel #'s?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
billg wrote:
My 82 year old Mom is about to switch from cable to FIOS TV. She's doing it to save $$$$ and really doesn't watch any channels past 13.

She got answers from Verizon (nothing in writing and I just want to confirm)

She has 3 TV's normally hooked up but no cable boxs. The house was wired about 7 years ago by Cablevision (and a couple rooms by me for cable) HD is not an issue.

1. Will/can Verizon hook FIOS into the old cables? They told her YES.

2. Does she need a box (and a monthly fee) for each TV? When the Grandkid's come they like to hide in an unused bedroom, move the TV in and watch. It's just not worth the $$$ every month for an extra box.

3. Are the local channels available and at the same channel #'s?

1) yes
2)yes
3) no

·
Registered
97 Posts
1) Yes

2) Not neccesarily but you will only get the first 30 or so channels, I have a straight hookup without a box going into my media center PC and only recieve the first 30 channels. This was confirmed by the FIOS tech that installed it. so the other 200+ channels will not be available without a box and the rental fee.

3) channels 2,4,5,7,9,11,13 are the same all other channels are all over the place :) , also no News12 Long Island available with FIOS.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
darkstrike wrote:

2) Not neccesarily but you will only get the first 30 or so channels, I have a straight hookup without a box going into my media center PC and only recieve the first 30 channels. This was confirmed by the FIOS tech that installed it. so the other 200+ channels will not be available without a box and the rental fee.

A cable card would get the channels above 30, of course only if the TV is cable "card ready".

No box needed to get all channels, but the cable card runs $2.99 per month

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Tell Mom to be carefull. When verizon installs Vios they remove your copper phone line. It in the fine print of the Vios contract. The law requires that who ever owns the copper has to lease it to others. That is how you get to choose different phone providers. However the same is not true for fibre cables. Verizon is not required to share or lease them to anybody.

Net result: put in Vios and your a Verizon customer for life.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
DaveB wrote:

Net result: put in Vios and your a Verizon customer for life.
Unless of course you go back to Cable and get their triple play. Even with the disconnection of the copper line, triple-play competition is such today that you do have alternatives.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Makoman16 wrote:
DaveB wrote:
When verizon installs Vios they remove your copper phone line.
Really? From where? The pole? The inside of the house?

I know that Verizon uses the existing copper line in the house for the phones. Maybe they do remove the copper from the pole to the house, but like Scott said there are other options.

Cable is one, another is a new phone company would be happy to run a new copper line from the pole to the house if you become a customer of theirs.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hate to say, but there is another option.. get rid of cable completely, and put an antenna on the roof. They still shoot tv broadcasts out and if she only wants channels 2-13, that would work fine.
The one time cost should be minimal, then no monthly fees!

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
Musella wrote:
Hate to say, but there is another option.. get rid of cable completely, and put an antenna on the roof. They still shoot tv broadcasts out and if she only wants channels 2-13, that would work fine.

She'd need a digital tuner when the FCC mandate goes into effect next year.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Makoman16 wrote:
Then why the "Verizon for life?" Why can't someone re-install the wire?
They/you can, but it there is a cost to do so. Right now all it takes to switch from Verizon phone service to another provider (if you have copper) is a phone call because they are regulated on the copper side to allow other service providers to do so. That is not the case with Fiber, so when they install the fiber they cut the copper connection so that you no longer have that easy option.

Most of this was discussed in the Cablevision vs. Verizon Thread

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:
I think that Verizon owns all the lines even if you have a different company. Once they run fiber to your home they don't have to rerun copper.
They told me that if I switch to Fios, I would get a land line(phone) instead of the having to rely on Cable. Meaning in an emergency when we have no power, the phone would work because it's a land line. Is this not true?

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
DarthBaiter wrote:
crabman1130 wrote:
I think that Verizon owns all the lines even if you have a different company. Once they run fiber to your home they don't have to rerun copper.
They told me that if I switch to Fios, I would get a land line(phone) instead of the having to rely on Cable. Meaning in an emergency when we have no power, the phone would work because it's a land line. Is this not true?
When they install the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) in your house they also install a battery back-up that would allow you to maintain your phone service (for a limited time) in the event of a power failure. You will NOT have copper lines into or out of your house.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Click here for a $40 off coupon for dgtal tuners. They cost about $50, so after the coupon, they are only $10 each.

jpd wrote:
Musella wrote:

She'd need a digital tuner when the FCC mandate goes into effect next year.

·
Registered
37,770 Posts
cable vs. verizon

A few months ago all my neighbors switched to fios. I said I will wait and see. Glad I did. After checking it out I did not like the channel set up and no news 12 or news 12 weather/traffic.
And just the other day the cable guy was back, they all switched back to cable.
Verizon also promised them a T.V. that they never received either.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
CHEVY1 wrote:
A few months ago all my neighbors switched to fios. I said I will wait and see. Glad I did. After checking it out I did not like the channel set up and no news 12 or news 12 weather/traffic.
And just the other day the cable guy was back, they all switched back to cable.
Verizon also promised them a T.V. that they never received either.
I dunno about them, but there is a weather channel on Fios where I don't have to wait through the commercials and the traffic report to get the weather report that if I miss the 30 seconds of I have to wait through the traffic & commercials again to try and catch it that time
. I also get more than enough news channels and can live without the latest housefire story in Whereverville LI (and I Live on LI!).

I do, however, LOVE my gazillion channels that are all part of my BASIC programming and the lower rates. but hey, that's just me.

This post edited by Scott1280 08:39 PM 01/30/2008

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.