NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting on the road late due to house hunting, I arrived at Venice at about 1130PM on Saturday night. We stayed in the Venice Marina cabins ? more or less trailers on stilts. They were nice and definitely adequate accommodations.

Brian, Andrew and myself woke up at 430 ? got gear ready, etc etc and walked over to the marina to meet Capt. Eddie and mate (I can?t remember the name right now, too tired). Left the dock around 545 or 6AM.

His boat is quick ? we did about 30 knots the whole way out, maybe more. It took us around 45min-1 hour to reach the lump.

Started off on the troll 0/1, definitely a wahoo, but the fish spit the lure as Andrew was reeling him in. Looked like a good sized fish and took a fair amount of line off the Tiagra 50.

We trolled a bit longer with no luck, then anchored up on the lump and started chunking/jigging, etc. It wasn?t long before Brian boated a nice 70ish lb yellowfin on a bonito chunk. Shortly thereafter, I caught a BIG amberjack on a similar bonito chunk. There were many amberjack caught all day long, probably around 12 in total. Tuna fishing was relatively slow, as we couldn?t get past all the **** bonito! They were everywhere. Every now and then you?d hear a shotgun blast ? so there were some mako caught.

Around 11 or noon I had a big run on my Avet while chunking a large slab of bonito. I put the reel in gear and it was on. I had 24 or 25 lbs of drag on the reel and the fish was screaming line off. After about a 30-40 minute fight, a 100+ yellowfin was boated.

In the meantime Andrew boated a nice big amberjack, and Brian got one about 30 lbs (you?re only allowed one keeper per person on AJs, so we all kept our largest). A little while later, I had another run. This time the fish took me all the way to my backing. The battle was on. I was on him for about 45 min or so before we saw color. Unfortunately, it was about a 9 foot hammerhead that had been circling the boat feeding on bonito. The fish pulled the hook near the boat so I couldn?t get a picture of it. I then buckled the drag down to about 27 lbs?and proceeded to hook another hammerhead! This time the shark?s skin busted the line. We wouldn?t have kept the fish, but I?d have like to have gotten a pic or two for the effort.

We trolled a bit more before heading in, and I picked up a nice 60lb ?hoo on the troll.

All in all a fantastic day. The tune weren?t there in numbers, but we always had fish around the boat, and the AJs kept us busy. If you ever go out of Venice I?d highly suggest Cpt. Eddie (www.fishvenice.com). He was great and if/when I go back I?m definitely trying to get on his boat. He was very friendly and talkative, and really loves fishing and having a good time. It seems like that?d be obvious, but not all cpts are like him.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks - it was slow in terms of tuna, but we had a good pick of AJs all day. That was my first AJ, and it was a ton of fun, they're real bruisers.

Truth be told, it wasn't cold enough to really justify some of the clothes the pictures suggest. It was in the mid 60s during the day...maybe high 40s when we left the dock. Oh, and there was a 'cold front' that just came through

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.