NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using eels from the surf for those a you who don't know:
You must break the eels back, if you don't the eel will tagle up in your line and what a mess that is: next place the hook under the jaw and out the eye: after you cast don't just let the eel sit there, slowly reel it back to you and repeat this process,almost as if you where fluking.this will produce better action with eels from the surf.......

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Eels don't always tangle. Sometimes, maybe even often, but not always.

I've found that if I get the eel in the water quickly after hooking it there's less tangle. It's the eel's writhing on the hook just after being put on that causes the most tangles. A quick dunk in the water after being hook often prevents it.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
Break the eels back? Good God Man!
First of all how do you break the back of something that can twist into knots?
Second, eels should be fished alive! If you keep tension on your line they will not ball up.
Third, once they hit the cold water they will become less active.
What makes you think that "your way" is the "right way"?

·
Registered
190 Posts
That "method" of slapping the eel so hard as to almost kill it, is most certainly curtailing your presentation, therefore in a sense also curtailing your results for the most part. After hooking an eel and launching it out into a hopefully fruitful strike zone, the combimation impact of the slap onto the water, with the cast itself is 99% of the time, all that is need for the eel to be presented properly. I fish eels very often, and as of late ALMOST exclusively and (knocking wood) have not had an "eel ball" this season. It is very easy for the eel to ball up, but a little attention on the anglers behalf will negate this.

My .02
Mike Lang

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've gone through about 35 eels in the past 3 months, and have one tangle up, and that was when I got tangled with my dad's line and both eels made a ball of fireline, spiderwire, and two eels in a nice tight ball. All the other times, I got the hook in, threw them in the water, and it hasn't balled up.

I fish from the surf, off jetties, in the rocks at Montauk, off bridges and don't have problems. I think any banging on an eels is no good, cause when I've stunned them or smashed a part of their body, the fish didn't bite...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have never ever heard of breaking an eels back except when you are rigging them, I have never done this and do not have a problem with eel balls, just get em in the water as soon as they are hooked, you don't have to throw a cast just drop em in the water and they will settle down. If the eels are too much for you to handle that you have to break thier back try putting an ice pack in with them and it will slow them down: For those of you who DON'T KNOW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im glad to see that out of all the hits my topic got there are only five negitive responces Im surpised that not one of them had cought on to the fact that I also said as if you were fluking this in it self will not let the eel get tangled up....................

·
Registered
831 Posts
cisco---make mine #6. I wouldn't have added a thing to this thread if you hadn't made it into a freakin' Florida election result---once 4 or 5 people say the same thing--no one really feels the need to add to it with pointless "me too's".

Keep your eels on ice, and keep tension on the line when you're retrieving, and you'll have 1 eel out of 100 tangle.

Before you tell people they don't know what they're talking about---maybe you should find out a little about who they are. Next time the issue of "that other magazine" comes out that lists the standings of the individuals and clubs in the NYSFF contest---check out where Mike Lang ranks in the standings. Here's a clue---you won't have to look very far down the list---in fact, you won't even get to second place.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Amen Mike P - make that 7 - I never stun, slap or otherwise harm the eel. Much better bait presentation when they're alive & kicking.....

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Amen Mike P - make that 7 - I never stun, slap or otherwise harm the eel. Much better bait presentation when they're alive & kicking.....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Speaking of eels--I fish them quit a bit,and most of my fish over 30lbs have probably been caught on them. The more alive the better altough I have caught on dead. I pull them straight from my live well so yep-very wiggly. Once in a while you get that one that tangles. The key is as soon as you hook the eel make the cast-dont wait even a second. I also made a post earlier in the year about using Gam. Octupus hooks.I said how great I thoght they were after the first outing with them. I spoke too soon. I love how sharp they are,but the barbs are too small--for the type of fishing I do,which usually requires a decent cast (south side Montauk).It's back to a 6/0 tuna for me..

Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
641 Posts
If I'm fishing over a shallow rocky bottom, for example Montauk's south side, I'll grab the eel by the head and whack his tail end against a rock a few times real hard. This helps keep them from diving into the rocks and hanging up. In my experience, eels don't need to be lively to produce. The exception being in relatively deep water with a moving current, like in an inlet. Some of my biggest bass have fallen to eels that were pretty hammered. I've attached a photo. The eel hanging off that fish was dead and banged up pretty bad. I was debating tossing it when it took that fish.
Bill:
I'm shaking my head over those tuna hooks. Next time you see a 40+ try pushing in one of those things past the barb. It's almost impossible if you're not down in the soft tissue. I have used only gamakatsu octos for years without a barb problem and I'm almost always casting for distance. Are you hooking out the eye socket? I don't, but instead go out just behind the eye. I'm not sure in what way the barbs are giving you a problem.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey John how are ya?--I started to use the Octopus hooks after seeing your post and talking to a few other people. I'm going through the socket as I always have, but am loosing alot of eels with the hook due to the small barb. Went back to the tuna which I believe I can get just as sharp--with a little effort. Ive been using that hook for years. Re: liveliness- I definately prefer my eels lively. If I squeeze their head and the tail doesnt go up--I change it--I never have found the need to beat the tail. Although I'll admit I've been out fished a couple of times by my buddy throwing dead ones.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Behind the eye uh--Ill try that this weekend--if I can find some eels as eveybody seems to be out.--also regarding the barb--pushing the barb and setting it with an 11 foot graphite rod is two very different things. Ive caught 40s-not as many as you-and havnt had problems with penetration(and they were all on mono)-I miss very few fish with the tuna also.

This message was edited by bill on 11-20-01 @ 9:56 PM

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey whatever works and what you're most confident with is best. Let me know if going behind the eye helps. I miss my share of fish, but between the no-stretch Power Pro, graphite rod, and Gamakatsu hook, it's extremely rare that I lose any that I've hooked. I lost many more 5+ years ago when I used mono and bronzed hooks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Surfeditor, the Gammi Octopus hooks you're refering to, are they the ones that are a tiny bit offset with the angle eye. I ask because Gammi also has a heavy duty Gorilla live bait hook that I think they call octopus as well. I've been using a Mustad 6/0 live bait hook and have missed a few lately, I think the thinner Octopus hooks may be what I'm looking for. Have you ever tried stuffing the hook down the eels throat and out the bottom, I like doing it this way because I'm less likeley to pith the eel and I "think" it may give the eel a better swim.

Thanks,
Fielder

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fielder---Gami makes both types of octopus hooks, same gauge metal---besides the thick gorlilla ones. The ones with a straight eye are labeled "Octopus SE". I like them because I prefer to use a palomar knot instead of snelling---others prefer the turned down eye (or is it turned up ? ;) ) and snell it to the leader. Whatever works best for ya' and all that.

I use size 6/0 and again, whatever works best for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.