NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems using bunker heads for Stripers. I am using a fishfinder rig and frozen bunker heads. I fish on a beach. The problem is I got fish taking the head but no hook up or cannot seen to set the hook. I will tried to use a different circle hooks. I almost forgot. Here is the rest of my Striper outfit:

12' casting rod
conventional reel with 50# power pro
4 oz sinker
8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook

I hooked the head on the back part after the skull. Is it possible the hook is too small or the bunker is too big?

·
Registered
10 Posts
HOOK IT THROUGH THE LIPS... THROUGH THE BOTTOM ONE THEN OUT HE TOP... USE 6/0 HOOKS..... SET YOUR DRG REALLY LIGHTLY.... WHEN THE STRIPER TAKES IT,LINE WILL SPOOL OFF LET HIM RUN WITH IT FOR A BIT.. THEN TIGHEN THE DRAG AND SET THE HOOK, YOU DONT HAVE TO SET THE HOOK HARD EVEN,, THEY HOOK THEMSELVES..

P.S WHA BEACH DO U FISH???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bunker heads

Hook a bunker under the bottom jaw and out the nostrils. Use a small to medium head.And a smaller hook ,get rid of the 8/0 circle and try a 7/0 octopus. Depending where you are fishing, use fresh heads not frozen. The smell and taste is completely different. Only large fish will be able to take the head. Also works for monster blues. However sometimes the head won't work for anything.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of rig should work? I use a fishfinder rig. I fish Rockaway Beach, Coney Island, and Jamica Bay.

So I shouldnot use the frozen bunker head from tackle shop? Are they too big?

What pound test line and what kind of tackle would be better? I use conventional rod and reel. Why shouldnt I use 8/0 circle hook? The hook is not even bigger than the head. I was thinking maybe I should use 10/0 gamakatsu circle?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
My first thought was go smaller on the hook size,

I'm pretty sure I'm using 4/0 when I fish for them using skimmer clams, I havent gut hooked anyone of them.
Theyve been hitting the bait most of this season somewhat " Gingerly" . Ive learned to present the bait close to the boat and set the hook when I get the first couple taps.
Maybe that info. is of value.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bunker heads are deadly. All of my biggest fish have hit the heads. I have also had many small fish of the schoolie variety hit heads - you'd be surprised how some of the smallest fish will hit a big bait. Try a 6/0 or 7/0 siwash hook (a real meat hook), long flurocarbon leader, a pyramid sinker of adequate weight to hold bottom on a fish finder to the main line. This is a very simple setup. Also, fresh bunker is always better than frozen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.