Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the response from the US Coast Guard. Hope you guys find this
informative.
=============================================
Subject: RE: Lighting regulations for kayaks
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:50:35 -0400

In accordance with the Inland Navigation Rules, Rule 25 (d)(ii), you may either show lights like a sailboat (Port & Starboard side lights plus a stern light or the combined lights for the mast head.) or have ready at hand an electric torch (flashlight) or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

In addition, I should mention the sound producing device. Inland Navigation Rule 33 says that if you do not carry a whistle and a bell which meet the specifications in Annex III of the Navigation Rules, you shall provide some other means of making an efficient sound signal. For a vessel less than 12 meters in length, when operating in or near an area of restricted visibility, you must either make the required sound signals as a larger vessel would, or make some other efficient sound signal at intervals of not more than 2 minutes.

We have had several close calls with paddlers operating in the fog coming very close to being run down by a ferry because they were not sounding any signals as required by the navigation rules.

Here is a link to the Connecticut Boaters Guide. It may be useful.
http://dep.state.ct.us/rec/boating/boaters.htm

If you have any further questions, please ask.

V/R,
Timothy E. Dickerson, LT
Asst. Senior Investigating Officer
Group/MSO Long Island Sound
(203)468-4501 Fax: (203)468-4445
e-mail: [email protected] http://www.uscg.mil/d1/units/grumsolis

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magilla,

I've been looking for the WATERPROOF handheld search lights like the ones you are referring to that are sold in Costco, BJ, Sams. The only ones I see now are water resistant and the saltwater is gonna do a number on the switch, bulb, and wiring (eventually). Seen what I want at West Marine at a much higher price, but hope you guys out there can steer me to something that is more econimically priced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.