NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Currently new to the world of saltwater fishing but have been loving every minute of it as well as enjoying this board.

I was looking for a nice rod to go with my Penn 321GTI reel and was gearing toward the Ugly Stick Tiger rod model 2202. Its a 1 piece 7ft M/H rod, 30-60# test and 3/4 - 8oz lure weight. I would use it for blues/stripers mostly for fishing off of boats, party and private.

Anyone have any opinions on this rod or other suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
I've got one - nice rod for bottom fishing (fluke, flounder, blackfish, seabass) & slinging eels from shore (using a baitcasting reel). Will handle blues & bass well. Actually hooked up a couple of small blue sharks with it. Had them on the line for all of 30 seconds before they bit through the 20# mono line I was using.

Downside - a bit wipy if you plan on jigging or bucktailing. Need a stiffer rod for that.

Otherwise - no complaints. I have a Shimono Corsair bait reel on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stripermike,

That was an excellent first hand report you received from Wader.

Go to your local tackle shop and ask their opinions.

Seeker, Diawa, Lamiglas and Shakespeare have models that will work for you. There are other brands also.

3/4 to 8 oz is a broad span of weights. I usually like to find a blank/rod that narrows the gap, ex, 1-3 oz or 4-8 oz.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks men for the replies. Much appreciated. My friend has had Tiger rods in the past and they seem to work well. Ill keep my options open regarding the lure weight Capt.

Thanks again.

Happy Holidays!

Mike

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi,

I would say the 320 (1?) GTI would be too large of a reel for that rod. I have the 2202 (&2201) and a abu 6500 or 7000 series works well as would a small newel or many other reels. The 320 is almost the same reel as the penn 113. Since the reel has a rather high spool, you may find that when loaded up the line will come off the top of the spool and hit the first guide at a bad angle vs going through the middle.

You may want to consider a 8' rod similar to the shakespear bwb 1120. It would end up being a matched setup on the heavy side which you could use for eeling off partyboats or drifting bucktails in the race. A little much for the north shore.

Also consider what Penn recomends for that reel. The penn power sticks are decent rods.

Capt. Marc

This message was edited by Capt. Marc on 12-22-01 @ 9:02 PM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your opinion. I will take a look at the Penn Powerstick rods. According to Penn there are many different combos rods to go with this reel. The Penn Slammer and Powerstick being some of them.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.