NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just recieved my Offshore Angler catalog and I was going to buy another Ugly Stick Big Water BWB1120-8'-H-40-80lb-3-12oz but see that there is a Ugly stick Custom USCB1180XH-8'-xh-40-50lb-3-12oz.

The only difference appears to be the "foul Proof" fuji guides on the USCB1180XH and the line weight.

Anyone know what the "foul Proof" guides are? It looks like the exact same blank for both. Is it worth the $30 upgrade to the Custom rod?

Capt. Marc

PS not interisted in any other brands. The BWB1120 is perfect and I would only consider slightly heavier guides which may be on the Custom.

· Registered
145 Posts
Ugly Stick

couple of pointsi Fuji does not make any Foul Proof guides, the older foul proof guides shaped like snake guides were made by Atnea and were while not as good as a good cermaic did hold up very well especially on head boats with rough abuse. The newer foul proofs guides being improted today are fairly poor quality and often begin showing signs of corrision in a matter of weeks.
John

· Registered
2,214 Posts
Mellowyellow, that is probably correct. I must say that I have Foul Proofs on my codfish rod and fish Power Pro--So far, so good. The other braids are more abrasive than Power Pro, so I don't reccomend them with Foul Proofs.

Gamakatsu

· Registered
145 Posts
Little tough to make a judgment re the foulproofs and spider wire as the guides are imported by a couple of companies, my only comment was many of the new versions are highly susceptable to corrision and going by that wouldn't recommend spider wire for line, I just finished rewrapping a Harrington two years old and every foulproof guide was corroded badly.
John

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

I would use a penn 113H or the 330 gti. The Abu is ok but not enough gutts for the deep water jigging I do for cod nor does it have the line cap. My fav reel for cod on these rods is the newel 540 5.5. I use 65lb test power pro.

Capt Marc

PS on the shakespear web page they say "Most are made with fugi guides"

· Registered
145 Posts
Couple of points 1- Fuji has never made a foul proof guide and number 2 many companies order guides from fuji made to their specifications and they are not always the same as the original fuji guides although they may look similar, close inspection will show differences, this doesn't mean they are all bad just not the same, usually done as a cost saving factor
John

· Registered
955 Posts
Don't know what foul proof guides are but I have had alot of experience with the USCB1180XH for codfishing. Pretty good off the shelf cod stick for deep water jigging or when using real heavy sinkers with bait. Best fish on this rod was a soaker of thiry-five pounds and many in the twenties. It takes a helluva fish to put a bend in this rod. It is thick (yet light in weight) all the way to the tip. Have not used it in years since I had my ultimate cod rod built. 8' lamiglass graphite stick with top shelf Fuji guides. Not to knock the Ugly Stick but it doesn't compare to a custom rod built by someone who knows what he is doing. Kinda like going from a Ford Taurus to a Ferrari. Great rods cost a fortune but are worth it. Give you another excuse to go fishing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.