NorEast Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
I was out by Point lookout on Sat midnight.. Caught a lot of fish not too sure what it was.. I don't think they were sea bass..

They were in the 10inch range and had thick black and white stripes from head to tail, anyone knows what kind of fish??

-Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok smartie, I was on the surf...

and obviously I don't know if I'm asking a question.. If you have no logical answer no need for a reply.. Just mind your business DOC..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Steve, you were catching schoolie stripped base also known as stippers. They are very closely related to red and black drum. They also get really big!

Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Steve, sounds like a schoolie to me as well. Thats why the site is here. If you don't know just ask. There all a lot of people who THINK they know all. But we no better.
CS

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
I was not trying to be a "Smartie" or insult you. But every angler does have the responsiblity to be familiar with the State & Federal conservation laws BEFORE we go fishing. The basics start with the simple ability to identify the fish that you might catch. Here's a question for you; how many of those fish did you keep and take home for dinner and how many did you release? Did you keep a dozen and release two or three or did you release a dozen and keep two or three?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thks all for the info..

Hey DOC for your info I took nothing home since, I wasn't even aware what kind of fish they were.. I wouldn't wanna eat anything that I'm not familiar with..
What is the state law for it since you have sooo much knowledge doc??
You wanna tell me the best way to cook them while your at it, thats if they can be kept of course..

This message was edited by Steve20 on 9-27-01 @ 12:41 PM

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
From 5/8 to 12/15 you can keep one fish over 28" per day.

What tackle shop did you buy your bait & gear from? Most of our tackleshops are very helpful. Next time you gear-up, ask them for advice and a quick overview of what you can expect. They can give you a copy of the regs and hook you up with a fishing ruler. (also check this site above under "regulations".

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey Steve,

I fish Point Lookout. I am curious about what type of bait you used. There are quite a few exotic species caught from the rocks at this time of year. Trigger fish, lafayetts. Also locals like kingfish. Given the number of fish you caught. I have a feeling you were catching something other then baby stripers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Steve20, for cooking stripers I recommend you filet with the scales on. Then grill first with the flesh side down for a few minutes and turn once - and only turn once - so that you finish with the scale side down. The scales will let you pick it off the grill without falling apart and you can peel the skin/scales off really easy. Season to taste but I like lemon pepper and some salt with a simple lemon garlic butter sauce on the top. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,914 Posts
Steve-Were the stripes running lengthwise or up and down????? Stripers have the stripes running lengthwise and Sea Bass have them running up and down. Other fish have these stripe patterns but this is a good start to narrow it down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought stripers had greenish blue stripes..
These things had black and white stripes going from head to tail.. the color pattern was about an inch thick..
I keep it simple with clam and squid, let it sit out for a few for a bit until they get really smelly and then freeze them until I fish..
I did print out the regulations and couldn't figure out which fish it was..
So is schoolie striped bass the final answer (28inch)??? they didn't like anything like the stripe bass though..
Surf caster, I think it was something else as well but I have no clue what it is, I went to the fish market to see if they had it and no luck..

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey steve dont rely on the fish market because i live in bklyn and the chinese fish markets has a load of stripers just only 8 inches long which is totally illegal, and when i ask them about it, they look at me like what the ^%^%% am i talkin about. just look under the regulations on this site to see them. if you like just punch in "striped bass" in a search engine you can see a lot of pics of this kind of fish. good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
the striped bass in fish market are farm harvested bass meant for human consumption....thats why they are all the same size and are the same size as the ones you would eat in a restaurant and are not illegal.....

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
Possible a sheepshead?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did you say 28 inches? Not a schoolie at that size. Were the scales big? A snook sounds like that but has little bitty tiny scales and lives in Florida but could have got caught in the Gulf Stream. Yea, its a long shot

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Read his original notes. He was catching them one after another. They had stripes head to toe. He was on the surf with clam & squid strips. The fish were about 10 inches long.

He was catching schoolie stripers.

The area he was fishing is so infested with them that the kids snapper fishing in the area have been releasing dozens of them.

They were not triggerfish, lafayetts, Sheepshead, or snook. They were stripers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What was the head like, how were the eyes set the shape of the tail, and why don't you leave your bait out for a couple of days, fish love rotten bait;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea the longer you leave the bait out to rot the more it smells good to the fish maybe not your hands but thats not what the hobby is about.. I keep my bait in one of those plasic containers that the restaurants have for soups.. It'll never leak and you can just keep freezing and refreezing the thing..
The eyes were not even into the head, the top was out more than the bottom part.. I don't remember what the tail was like.. I guess I'll have to take a pic of one the next time I get it..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts