NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maby i have been under a rock but i was just informed today that i need one of these by sept 08 .. any one get one of these yet how hard of a process ??

here are some links ...

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/twic_faqs.shtm#card

TSA WEBSITE said:
[/Will these rules affect all Merchant Mariners?

Yes. All credentialed U.S. merchant mariners must obtain a TWIC. This includes all persons holding a Coast Guard-issued merchant mariner's license, merchant mariner's document (MMD), Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Certificate, or certificate of registry (COR). With the implementation of TWIC, the Coast Guard MMD would primarily serve as proof of the bearer's professional qualifications. The Coast Guard has drafted a supplementary proposed rule (published in the same Federal Register edition as the TWIC final rule) that proposes to combine the elements of all four current merchant mariner professional credentials into one certificate called the Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC). The Coast Guard and TSA are streamlining the process for the two credentials to reduce costs, duplication of effort, and processing time for mariners. If the MMC proposed rulemaking is finalized as currently written, the Coast Guard would begin issuing the MMC in September of 2008 and would phase in the replacement of mariner's current credentials over a period of five years. Mariners would be issued their credential in the form of an MMC at the time they renew their current credential, or when applying for a new credential. The proposed rulemaking would not affect the validity of a mariner's current credential.
]

This post edited by bhm25 12:23 AM 01/21/2008

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
doubt it

baywatch wrote:
Maybe you can get in on line :rolleyes: just like n OUPV now
Bill it clearly states you will need a finger print on the card so i doubt it will be possible for they have to take your prints in person

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also states you need a VALID passport as a one of the 3 forms of ID required inorder to obtain a TWIC ID card. just another useless expense if you ask me..lol

paying 200 for a useless ID

granted i dont think the average license holder needs it from what i read but it already adds to a long list...lol ..commercial vessel operators permit..fcc license...USGG license...MMD ...TWIX...CPR first aid....

i wonder how many years it will be untill we need a scanable computer chip..lol

·
Registered
871 Posts
As usual, when it comes to reading and interperting federal Documents, I am MORE than dazed and confused.

Does all this mean that I have to get this certificate BEFORE my current license expires.....or do I just have to have all these requirements in place for when I RENEW my current license?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
what it says

Togster2 wrote:
As usual, when it comes to reading and interperting federal Documents, I am MORE than dazed and confused.

Does all this mean that I have to get this certificate BEFORE my current license expires.....or do I just have to have all these requirements in place for when I RENEW my current license?

HiJoe,
From what i Read it states by Sept. 2008 you will be reqiured to do this. Iamsure you get something via US mail

I am not sure the standard 6 pack or master capt needs this seems from what i read

BHM as far as the passport I was just informed that in 2008 all airline flights even domestic will require a passport so you will need one to fly very soon.
The best part is now the usual 40 bucks for a passport is up to 97 bucks and even children will require them as well.

The best part of the article you posted is the 10 to 15 min to obtainthe card.
Yes right last time I was there it was more like 2hrs, and then the cost of parking andother things as well

·
Registered
110 Posts
www.tsa.gov/twic or call 1-866-347-8942 for questions

just got my TWIC the other day. You can preenroll at the website above. i preenrolled and went down to the howland hook marine terminal to finish the job. Took about 20 mins....make sure you have all of the propper forms of identification. i was also told that if your MMD was recently renewed the fee would be about $110. I work in the harbor and i get reimbursed from work for having the TWIC...but i agree with most of you that 6 pack holders and similar smaller tonnage holders shouldnt be required to have it. i hear that the Whitewall ferry terminal takes longer to process than Howland hook.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im lucky to leave the 5 boroughs during the season..lol might as well do allthis crap in the winter .

nomad17 thanks for the info dosent sound all that bad. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
All Lic. Merchant mariners

Need this by september

I put a call into the coastguard sector NY

if you hold any coastguard lic. you are required to get the card

If you work in a port or on a vessel that is required to have security plan and have access to secured areas pilot house, engine room , steering compartment ect ect you are required to have one

on a T Boat (read party boat ) or 6 pack only the Captain is required to have it and only due to the fact that he holds a lic.

K boats (300 passenger and above) have security plans and some mates or deck hands will also be required to hold cards based on the above stated security access

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Wow

you think they will give a credit for those the renew there ticket in less then 5 years or now we get banged for this card as well?

I hope thye use the card and not the paper document you need on the vessel. they even made the new paper cheaper then the old tickets
A card would be easier and with a bar code maybe speed up the processing
But i think we got a better shot at hitting lotto

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The Card

Doesnt replace your Lic.

Its in addition to your Lic.

From what i gather its just the opening salvo

Next it will be scan pads at security points on docks and vesssels
and then who knows

There were a few points on the site where some monitary credit was given for something but I dont recall what

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, no need for the OUPV's.. there goes Sea School and the rest down the tubes with tackle shops, head boats, charter boats, marinas, gas docks, bait getters. Hey everyone, join the crowd...the waterfront unemployment confederation. What will they think of next, have us register rods and reels?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.