NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend booked me on the Frances Fleet out of Point Judith for a tuna trip Oct 27/28 for my birthday...(she is the best!). Has anyone taken one of these trips? I am looking for advice/do's and don'ts etc...I have fished the Gail Frances for cod (I didn't even know they had 4 boats now) but this will be my first tuna trip...they mentioned in the pamphlet to to bring a pole with 20lb test for Mahi Mahi, would this be spinning or conventional?

·
Registered
151 Posts
A conventional baitcasting outfit would be best if you are a competent baitcaster, but otherwise a spinning outfit with a quality drag is fine. You'll want to possibly fling a lure out along a weed line, hence the need to be able to cast a little bit.

I think most of the tuna party boats provide decent stand-up tuna gear, but I don't think they provide rod belts, so definitely bring one of these. Also a squid rig to tie onto that smaller pole of yours to catch some live squids is useful. And dress warm - it can be long cold night out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.