NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use High Vis Yellow or similar line on their chunking outfits? Do you think it effects the bight? What about with heavy clear mono top shots, how long and heavy should they be? Getting ready to put together some setups for next summer and looking for some input.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i had the hi vis line on all of my offshore reels the yellow, and the blue first time i used it i ended up taking all of the line off when i got back to the docks i couldn't stand it i used it for chunking it stood out way to much the line reflects the light from the boat and travels down I hated it, this is how i feel about it but some guys love it. If you are going to spool up i would go for momoi hi catch smoke blue awesome line i have been using it for a while and love it i would never change it to any other kind of mono. The hi vis line is more for trolling so you can see where your lines are in the spread very popular down south for marlin and other pelagic species. I would put about a 100yard top shot on depending on the setup. My 30s i have 60 pound top shot 100yards, then 65 pound jerry brown hollow core spectra as my backing i only chunk with 30 in the canyons. My 50s are set up with 100yard top shot of 80 pound mono, with 100 pound jerry brown hollow core spectra as backing all momoi smoke blue.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
826 Posts
I WILL SECOND BLAKE....

I was working on a 60 hatteras and that is all we used for trolling.. we had all old school dacron backing with hi vis top shots of about 100-150 yards all bimini twists with a loop to loop connection.. It works okay for trolling but still seemed to not raise as many fish as all the moi moi i use now.. I dont use anything other than moi moi smoke blue..

HEY BLAKE,

Do you use to chinese finger splice with the jerry brown? just getting ready to re rig for this year and was going to try it since i have been using all mono and want to try it.. wondering how it works and if you use the special JB adhesive and how that works?

Let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Fluoro

I was using fluoro leaders for all of my chunking so I could do quick swaps when it was needed. I started the season using 80# but dropped to 60# around mid august, I think the fish were getting a bit leader shy by then. My only complaint is that you have to baby the fluoro a bit more than mono, and I dont think the abrasion resistance is all that great. But hey, it caught fish, so Im happy. Most fish were schoolies and Med size to #85. I had two fish snap line, but I also lip hooked and released a blue shark on it as well, go figure.... Most of my reels are spooled with big game, and I have been happy with the line, especially with the $$$ of it. with 12 reels holding 600-800yds each that stuff adds up!

·
Registered
826 Posts
That is the most expensive part of the season!!

I spend more in line i think they i do in bait..

figure line is costing you about 75 a reel to do everything sometimes more depending on if i do it myself or not.. so figure 75 for arguments sake.

i got 4- 15tld
4- 25tls
4 aleutecnos 50ws
4 - penn 30wides
2 penn 80w

thats 18 reels at about 75 a piece figure. thats well over 1000 dollars.

I spend 1000 a year on baits from down south!

GO FIGURE!

but without the line i would spend a fortune on losing fish!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well you figure to start the season it costs you the line... the top shots.. the rigging... just to get it all started and the service if you do not do it yourself...

If you get moi moi it is about 138 dollars retail for a 5000 spool of 60 yards.. you get say 600 a spool or maybe 500 not sure havent done it yet this year.. then you got to get or make the top shots.. get the service done.. it comes to about that maybe 50 say..

i will say 50 your probably right Jess.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Ok now I'm really confused. What is a 5000 spool of 60 yards? I assume you are talking about mono. Just for the record I paid $115 to have 3 50VSW's filled with 80# Momoi Diamond. Thats only $38/reel.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I am talking about the start up costs.. we didnt go into fuel.. dont want o hijack a thread.. He was taling about chunking line.. i was just saying how expensive it is..

And trust me i know all about the fuel dillema... I just choose not be upset about it.. one less thign to worry about.. just putting a lot of people out of business which is sad and the prices to charter are so high now you can no even charter anymore..

And if you are burning over 1000 dollars a day in fuel you got to find something else to run...

that is about 300 gallons.. i just about burn that on a run in my 41 viking i run with a friend with old detroits.. 671 naturals.

·
Registered
842 Posts
OK, here is the problem that lead to Jigalow's question, and here also is how I plan on solving it: On my boat "Glue Me" we fish with Mo-Moi Hi-vis yellow. At night we put 10 feet of 60# fluorocabon in front of a circle hook. We connect the flouro with a swivel for the deep baits and usually a leader/line knot for the surface baits. Jigalow thinks we don't catch enough fish & that the Hi-vis yellow scares the tuna away.

To remedy his paranoia (and also to solve problems we have had with landing the fish), I have decided to put wind-ons on all the reels. Jigalow will be making the wind ons. He wants to know A: if you experts think this will work, B: what test line would be best, C: is he crazy or what?

I want to know: Do you really think the yellow scares the tuna? My observation is that we either get into the fish or not & my averages are better than most. Jigalow wants a full on blitz every time we are out there.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A little nuts is always a good thing!!!

He is going to be just fine i would say depening on your wind on size like you wanted to know.

I worked for a guy who used all hi vis with main line connected to the windon using very small wind on swivels.. i would a little apprehensive at first but it worked well and we caught some big fish. He would use plain 130 lb and wind it on about 100 yds or so. We would then just rig the trolling lures direct to the wind on and off we go.. when done trolling we would just have to cut off the lures and tie on the chunking rigs... This worked well but a little bit of a pain in the buttocks!

If do not think yellow really effects their eating habits but everyone has their own superstitions!

I have chosen on my personal boats to fish without windon... i dont really want to get involved in a debate but the only reason for wind on IMHO is when your using a braid, spectra, or a JB hollow or something to that effect.. And they only use it for the shock absorbtion.. That is the only reason they use it! and trust me it does work when trying to stick a hook in a tough fish or a fish deep down..

but on the other hand mono only has so much stretch.. it is about 1 feet to every fathom (6ft) deeo but you are trolling and i will tell you what i rather have 60lb mono with a wnid belly in it when trolling specific baits to keep them down.

If you put a naked small split bill ballyhoo on 130 lb wind on how do you think it is going to stay in the water without weight? i am just not a big fan of them at all and do not think there is a need for them since you really do not but 130lbs of pressure on a fish..

Just think of it like hooks..

Why use nothing but a owner super mutu with 2500 lbs of breaking strengh when they are so big and bulky when you can get away with using a eagle claw lazer sharp circle which is completel lighter by about 500% and they have a 500-750 lb breaking strenght and will sink lighter and present your baits a lot better?!?!

There are pros and cons to everything but i would recommend doing half and half.

Troll 10 lines, half with the windon and half without.. also chunk with 4 rods or 6 rods 2 and 2 or 3 and 3 and see which produces more.. you will see a difference i promise you that!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
asiegel wrote:
C: is he crazy or what?

Answer is... C

asiegel wrote:
Jigalow wants a full on blitz every time we are out there.

Crazy yes but you can't blame me for wanting to put more fish in the box :):):). That's what this is all about isn't it?

Andy, thanks for taking my inquiry with good nature, I tried to ask the question as objectively as possible so as not to taint peoples responses. I guess I'm just trying to gain comfort in knowing that there are other boats out there who successfully use yellow line on the chunk. I don't want come off as a nag, I know we catch plenty of fish regardless of line, I just want more.

My paranoia about line comes from tuna fishing on head boats. I've probably done about 20 - 30 head boat tuna trips and I've never once seen someone fishing with yellow line, I guess I really don't have a basis of comparison but that leaves me suspicious. With 30 guys standing around you do tend to see patterns develop, it's difficult to leave other variables like angler skill and rigging aside but more than once I have observed that the lighter line tends to get more bights than heavy line. From there, right or wrong, I've formed the opinion that visibility of the line does sometimes effect the bight and since yellow is so visible it couldn't be good.

Take it for what it's worth, I'm just trying to be a good crew. Even if the decision were made to spool everything with 300lb yellow, I'd galadly help spool the reels myself and drive hundreds of miles at a moments notice to fish with with Andy and crew.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Now i wish i could get a crew as freaking wonderful as that!!

Man oh man willing to do anything to fish with a good crew!

That is awesome!
Nice words jig and we all get what you meant and your right in my eyes!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks for the flattery Jig. Maybe I will forgive you for the fingerprint on my LDC!!! BTW your wind ons are better made than any I have seen. Make as many as you can, but Sportfishing has a good point about wind and trolling & current will affect them too. I will have some of the topshots made of that clear blue Momoi just to see what happens & we can try half wind-ons half straight tied too.

Sportfishingusa: The main reason I want wind-ons is so that we can put the drag to max on big fish and not worry about losing them during the end game, or leader them from 40 feet away like the IGFA says you can. We lost a really nice bigeye at boatside last year because of knot failure at the(very short)double line which was only 10 feet from the rod tip. Jigalow is going to make up wind-ons for swordfish and sharks too which go directly to the hook (or wire).

For anyone looking here and wondering why I don't want to change away from Hi Vis line: I need to see where the lines are going! I don't know how you guys can keep track during multi-hookups, tangles, and trolling spread adjustment without seeing the line.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I cought a lot of fish this year jigging with 100 lb yellow braid straight to a butter fly jig. I know that braid does not transfer light like mono but you sure can see it in the water. My typical chunking set-up has a 130 spro swivel and I use 10 feet of 40-80 lb floro. The little swivels go right through the guides no problem. The knot can get in the way with smaller guides.

Fish deffinately get line shy. We have all seen them behind the boat just eating your chunks and ignoring anything with a line attached. I have even gone down to 20 lb floro but sometimes they just won't touch anything.

I have tried using different size leader on each rod while chunking and the lower test usually gets more hits. Also eliminate any snap swivels! I just have a problem going from 60lb main line to 20lb leader.

down in NC fishing for Giants we would use the same tactics. 25-30 feet of 250 lb floro to a 300 lb spro swivel to the main line.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Siegal i would use nothing but a tiny moi mio crimp and color it black with a Sharpie!

Also just so everyone knows if you have a fish that is leader shy and not eating anything try main line hooks!! take the main line and directly tie it to the hook!! i will guarantee your hook up ratio goes up on tough bites!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
on the chunking setup it is kind of hard. I actually wrap up 4 times and down 3. it makes it kind of like a ramp if you will and helps guide the swivel through. Kind of hard to describe the knot.

As for the heavy stuff I crimp it with the smallest crimp you can get the line in. I use the short ones not the long. It is very important to get the crimp just right so that it can hold 48lbs of drag for an hour and still go in and out of the guides. It is hard to get it through sometimes but with a 100 inch fish pulling it goes like a warm knife through butter. Remember these are 130 rods with big guides.

As for tuff bites, tying the hook right to the line helps if you have 50lb or so main line. You can try to muck up the water a bit, just don't flush the head, that usually drives them away.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.