NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know if I'm the only one who feels this way. Suffolk County will issue their 4wd permit to any vehicle. They are supposed to carry the required equiptment, but there is no way a 50' motor home will be able to self rescue if it goes down, ditto for the 2wd vans.

I think if its not a legitimate 4wd it shouldn't get the permit. Whats everyones opinion? Am I off base here?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think they should be issued to 4WD vehichles only. If you are dumb enough to take a 2WD anything on the beach and get stuck, you deserve to pay the crazy money you will need to get to get off the beach. From what I hear, it can cost a minimum of $500.00. No I don't think you are off base on this..

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Shag,

You're saying that if someone goes into the park office with the registration for a BMW they can still get a 4x4 permit?!

That's government for you!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would have never thought in a million years they COULD issue a 4x4 permit to anything but a 4x4
Why would someone who can not drive on the beach spend money on the permit to begin with ? It doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
To be fair, the ladies who work in the park office probably don't know the vehicular abbreviations for all 4x4 and non-4x4 vehicles. Then again, most people don't. So unless the county changes procedures and requires a physical inspection of vehicles applying for the permit (like the state 4x4 permit) such things will happen.

But like 24 said, what good is the permit to those people anyway?!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.