NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the month of April I fished Massapequa for trout on various occasions. Each time I fished there, especially after the stocking, I saw plenty of anglers leaving with trout. Yesterday, I fished the same lake for the first time this month. I try to leave the lake alone shortly after the trout stoking till June 1st so that the Bass can spawn. Because I have had bass take a small spinner fly of rooster tail intended for a trout. Anyway, I fished the same parts of the lake I have found to be productive for trout, and only caught Bluegil and one tiny little bass, all of wich were properly released. Point being I thought to myself that all the trout had been taken out of the lake those days after the stocking. I was talking to another angler whom I have seen there plenty of times and he seems to think the same thing. DEC stocks this lake, people catch the fish, and bring them home to cook them up, then there are no more fish. What is the use? I think the bag limit should be lowered. Maybe, people should only be allowed to target trout for a shorter time, maybe wait to a week or two after the stocking to allow anglers to fish for them, at least for a little while or one season, maybe fish for them from May 1st up till June 1st only. Again maybe only for a season, but these ideas, as well as others, should be entertained in order for trout to truely populate this lake if possible. Maybe if this lake had a better trout population, there would not be anglers there targeting spawning bass. I release every fish I catch in that lake, I would not care in the least if they lowered the bag limit. I believe that people are allowed to keep 5 trout, what is wrong with 3 or 2. I am no expert on how to stock a lake, nor do I want to piss anyone off. These are just my thoughts on the issue of having fish in our lakes to try to catch in the future. Any and all comments are welcome. THEO

·
Registered
404 Posts
put and take trout fisheries

theohooksem,

massapequa reservoir and other li ponds are stocked with browns and rainbows.

they are not native to li, don't spawn here, and in many of our ponds - do not survive the heat of summer. that is why it is a "put and take fishery".

most of our ponds can no longer support native populations of brook trout; and for scientific reasons (genetics), brook trout are no longer stocked.

the limit for trout will be reduced from 5 to 3, starting oct.1st, 2002.

to learn more about trout, and link to the new dec regs, see other posts in this forum by doing a nor'east search
under "trout".

i gotta go cook a striped bass dinner for mom.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, I was kind of wondering if it was at all possible for these fish to populate the lake. Makes sense, considering that trout are cold water species, and we have hot summers here. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Hope you enjoyed dinner with mom. Take care and good luck.
THEO

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
How have you been Theo?Those trout only bit good that day we met up,then it was just a pick.I think those trout do more bad then good to the small lakes we fish(mass.res,twin lakes)Droping in 300 15in or better brown trout in to these lakes,puts a serious hurt on the native population of fish.These trout are agressive and will and do,disrupt the natural enviroment.Just my two cents..... release&enjoy....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Flukerr, how have you been? Things here are good. I have been kind of staying away from the freshwater scene a bit with the spawn and saltwater taking off. However, I am thinking of trying for picks this week maybe. I agree with you about the trout stocking. I don't see how all those trout, although mostly taken, can do any good for the fish native to the lake. DEC should maybe think about using that money to clean up the lakes or doing something else that might help the population of fish there. I doubt that there is enough room/food in the lake to stock a fish that might survive there. But maybe some type of minow or other food source for the native fish might be something to think about. Cleaning the place up would probably be the best way to spend the money though. These are just some Ideas. I understand how fragile a lake is and I am sure that DEC and plenty of other people know more about these things than I do. I do not really know what is best for the lake, but I want it and the fish there to have a future. June first is just around the corner, we have to link up. Hope all is well, good luck. THEO

·
Registered
404 Posts
to stock , or not to stock?

stocking trout:

1) helps sell licenses, which provides funding for dec operations.

2) gives novices (especially children), an accessible fishing opportunity with a good chance for success, thus increasing the numbers of anglers.

3) is a way to provide a trout fishing opportunity on the many long island ponds that are no longer capable of supporting the native brook trout.

on the other hand, stocking brown and rainbow trout:

1) can be a competitive stress negatively affecting the few remaining populations of brook trout in some long island waters.

2) can distract the dec, as well as local anglers, from the more important issue of protecting the water quality of our sweetwaters for the sake of the native species, such as brook trout, which is their rightful heritage.

3) promotes a false sense of security amongst the general public that our freshwaters are not becoming more and more degraded every day.

personally, i would prefer that the dec make more of an effort to protect and even restore the water quality of our ponds and streams, but apparently politics and economics are factors that strongly influence their operations.

doing that, would also be the most effective way to protect and even restore the water quality of our salt water bays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.