NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Upto 20lb Lakers have been caught in Kensico, 15-18lb Browns are also caught in Roundout, and Neversink witch are also excellent Laker waters.

Gilead and Glinieda have put out huge trout also

10lbs is a respectable and attainable goal for both Lakers and Browns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yea,that sounds bout' right crash,,,....but i think they both get bigger....browns up to 20 +..and lakers around 25+......<i know they are in there.....16lb+ have been taken in cross river and titicus too....bass,,,,,easily over 10 lbs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx a ton crash... yea ive got to break out my topo map here im itching to get into some fishin real soon! also just as curious.. do any guys fish for stripers in that reach of the hudson? i guess around the indian point area?>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guys,
I think the we've got to go a little easier on the 20+ lb trout that come out of the watershed. They mat be in there, but it's not like they've been caught. For three years, I fished all the hot spots, except Roundout, just about every day and I have yet to take a trout out of any of them over 10lbs. There are some fisherman who do a whole lot better than me, real experts, and every year they'll get a 12-14lbr, but they put major time in and they know to the day and hour when and where big fish will be cruisin. They also don't offer a whole lot of info. I understand that in the 70s and 80s, the kind of fish you are talking about were available. This is all not to say that there aren't big trout in these reservoirs. I caught two 9lb browns in the same night a couple of years ago and I've caught a nearly 8lb largemouth, preseason (had to put it back), and the fishing can be great, but let's not make it sound like anyone can fill a stringer with 10+ lb trout. There are some huge trout in there (I consider anything over 10 huge), but it ain't like Oswego or anything. If you guys know something I don't, please let me know. Also, Crash, I'd like to know about the striper thing. Take care. Bill O'C

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've read the posts about big reservoir trout and agree there are some true monsters. Tales of 10 lb. plus browns was one of the main reasons I was attracted to the watershed. In 86 I bought my first boat and had it placed on Croton Falls. I'm still there. In May of that first year I saw a school of sawbellies breaking the surface right next to my boat. I made a cast with a 1/4 ounce Krocodile and had my rod bend in half. I was using 4lb test and the weight of the fish told me I'd better be careful. My friend Ed attempted to net the huge brown on it's first pass by the boat but missed. My line came dangerously close to the metal edge. The second pass resulted in a netted trout. Six hours after being gutted, it weighed 10.5 lbs on the scale at Bob's B&T. I estimate it was a 12 pounder live weight. However I have not come close to a fish of that size since. As for lakers. The largest I have seen reported was a 17 pounder out Lake Glenieda.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes there are huge trout in the nyc resv. i live 5 min from kensico. but like the ealier post getting your hands on a brown over 15lbs is very very rare. dont get me wrong , there are huge trout in the res.but some of those big trout waters are off limits to the public.( not me though he,he,he). kenisco holds some of the largest lakers around and the browns in there have gone close to twenty lbs(ive seen them with my own eyes folks) im not going to start braging about how big the trout ,but all thses lakes have spings which feeds cold water in to the water find them and you might be surprised!!. another tip is head north of kensico and fish croton res. it holds browns that will scare you, but use very light line , and flourocarbon leaders. hope to see you fishing fools out on the water. ciao..

dont forget to set the hook!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys.. ok one more Q for you all... and again thanx for all the info.. i cant wait to finally get in my house up there! ok here it is.. now ive seen alot of john boats on the waters edge of some of the resiv's. are you allowed to use an electric trolling motor? how about using a canoe or kayak? is this allowed? thanx agin for your time an patience..

·
Registered
62 Posts
No canoes, kayaks or electric motors allowed. If Croton Falls doesn't fill by the time the resrvoirs open, it will be a great time to walk the shore and map out (with GPS) and photograph some of the structure! Low water also makes for good shoreline flyfishing. Hopefully we will see things open.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Craig C,

I live on Long Island and have not been back up to Croton Falls since just before 9/11. How low is the reservoir? My boat is in the first cove just west of the Dam. Also Grouse, you will have to have your row boat inspected at a DEP station prior to placing it on a reservoir. There is no charge for the inspection. However you will need an Access pass to get your boat permit. Minimum length for the boat 11'6'- Max is 16'.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Croton Falls is the lowest that I have ever seen it; not sure how to describe it. The structure is very interesting. I don't boat fish but I think you guys who fish it should get out there to look around. Once the property opens (if it doesn't fill) A camera, GPS, 1/24,000 scale topo and some effort should set you up for years with great info. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Canoes and kayaks can be used in some of the other lakes in the county-some public and some private; none of these are real trout waters though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.