NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Penn reel that I've been trolling wire with for several years. The rod has seen better days and I was looking to replace it. I was hoping to replace it with a Daiwa Sealine rod I already have. What sort of eyes/ guides do I need so the wire won't chew them up?

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi.

When using wire you need guides with the hardest surface. It will cut right thru stainless guides and most ceramic guides.

Use Silicon carbide (SIC) ceramic guides OR Carbaloy metal guides.

Many people prefer roller guides and tip tops.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
248 Posts
My suggestion would be to go with a carbaloy guides and a roller top. I have done a few like this for customers and that seems to be the way to go. Conversly most charter boat captains that I have dealt with used all carbaloy guides with no rollers at all. They say that they don't want the matienence of the rollers and that they really aren't necessary. Just two schools of thought for you.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
carboloy or sic work well. a rod with a softer action will be more forgiving and pleasurable to fight fish on.

i've had no luck with roller tops, even the "hardened" ones aftco makes (made?)
quickly grooved up. also, swivel size is an issue, asuming you want to use a swivel to join wire to backing or leader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.