NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only trolled with wire for stripers with a guide who provided the tackle. I know that trolling with wire involves special equipment. Can you offer advice on selecting the rods and the reels bested suited for this type fishing. Maybe some model #'s. So far I have heard: for the reel use stainless steel spool w/o level wind feature about 3/0 or 4/0 size. For the rod, pick one with "metal" guides for so wire doesn't damage. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Some rod manufactures offer rods with carbide guides specifically for wire line use. I have my wire line rigged on Penn Senator 4/0's with Chaos (www.chaosrods.com) wire line rods. I ususally pack my rods with 350' of wire and back it with dacron.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My wire rig is a Penn 349 master mariner reel with 300 ft of monel with 80lb spro swivels every 100 ft, backed with 40 lb dacron. Its mounted on a 6 ft custom built rod from Sea Isle I had built with oversized carbide guides Aftco roller tip A longer than typical butt and extended fore grip. the rig works well for jigging as well as trolling bunker spoons. I havent used it in recent years as I really don't enjoy fishing with the stuff. I get all the fish I need with bait casting tackle these days.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Other than the rod...fishfinder is essential. The concept is deep. Depending on how heavy the wire, you can reach depths accordingly. Reel up, when you get to your structure,rip.

In Montauk, Green Jig with red Pork. White with yellow when cloudy. Be careful around the charter boats they do wire for a living, watch them, you can learn, but leave them space.

Also, dont let others on your boat use your equipment without knowledge of wirelining..or you will be spending your day with a mess of a birds nest you will never forget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
TROLLING WIRE

Here's the dealio,for a beginer I reccomend a large spool level wind reel,reason being that line retrieval is critical in fishing wire,I do a considerable amount of towing bucktails and arms(umbrellas),and many of the people on board are inexperienced with wire.Bucktailing is an art,in that the angler imparts action to the jig ,depending on the many variables you will encounter;water depth,tide,species sought,climatic conditions,bait present and so on;that's fishing and as you develop your skills so will your catches increase.The stick you use should vary with the method that you are using.I use a 7'stick similar to the BT 3M Lami series,spoons require a longer softer stick,shad rigs,umbrellas a stiffer more substantial rod,research and make a selection that's comfortable to you,good luck any further help ,feel free to call KAREN ANN CHARTERS

·
Registered
206 Posts
wire

bdogg

have you ever caught a short bass or a fish you planned to release after dragging it by its face for a 1/4 mile.
It may swim a way at first but I feel it will be floating on its belly in about anhour after being caught. Besides I dont see the sport end of this type of fishing. I know this may make some waves with some fisherman but I think most will think its true

·
Registered
282 Posts
i'm NOT a fan of trolling but there are
times when you have to use all the tools available to you in order to save the day. when i am trolling wire as soon as i get a strike i instruct whoever else has a line in the water to reel in,the motor gets shut down and the person with the fish on fights his fish at his own pace.i have never had a problem doing this and am surprised that i don't see more boats doing it.once the fight is over just let out your lines again ,it may mean that you might have to circle back over the area of the hook up but it's no big deal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
uh-em, getting back on issue....

Ollie 2000-

I've done lots of jigging in the rips around here for stripers and blues, so like all, I have an opinion on what works. I like the Diawa 450H for a reel, i think the solid 1 piece frame has it all over the Penn 4/0, and I've used a ton of them too. They are reel work horses, unlike their spinning reels, which I do not like. Rods,...carbide guides are a must, and I consider roller tips to be a must have too or the wire drags across you tip top. Fianlly, try using LIGHT WIRE, like 30 lb. It is sporting; try hooking a 40lb bass in a roaring rip on 30 lb wire, you will have your hands full. Now if you're going to tow umbrellas, you may want to go up. I like mono for backing also, 50lb has worked well for me.... I have spent my two cents!

)<)))*>

·
Registered
405 Posts
trolling kills bass?

Sorry but I have to disagree with trolling killing bass. I've never once seen a bass turn belly up after countless charter trips out at Montauk. Trolling may not be the most enjoyable way to catch fish but it can save a day. If the bass did die after being dragged Montauk would be littered with dead bass and it is quite the opposite. Just because you don't like fishing with wire doesn't mean it should be illegal !!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
wire

bucktail, you are right i never caught a tuna or any other offshore fish trolling. But i was really refering to bass which are alot smaller than the offshore game. NO NEED TO TROLL THESE FISH NOR IS IT FUN..

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
jat56

you've got a lot to learn.One thing I can tell you is that you can't gut hook a bass trolling spoons.Another thing is ,when you learn the art of trolling bass it can be lots of fun.I use bellies 90% of the season,but when it becomes fall I chunk them and troll them,whatever it takes.I've taken my biggest fish on bunker spoons and to my knowledge never killed a fish trolling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
troll

I have also got my biggest bass trolling spoons 41.7 lbs but catching a 15lb bass jigging or chunking is twice as much fun. its my personal opinion that trolling bass is boring. its like using a shotgun to shoot an ant. its just overkill.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a hard time seeing that trolling is overkill. Under most cases you can only troll two wire lines at a time. If anything is overkill its haveing sixlines out while you also have a chum pot and throwing chunks as well. But, I think that we got off of the point, so I will try to get back on track. Here are my recommendations for a reel you should use a penn 113h, but you need to find the old ones with the stainless spools, that could be a little tricky. You might want to look at J & R in oakdale, he probally doesnt sell that many, and might still have a few older models, otherwise ebay. For the rod you def. need carbide guides. I have some star rods which are nice, but I recently acquired 2 St. Croix rods model PSW66MHWL. These in my opinion are some of the nicest rods I have seen. They are 6'6" with carbide guides and they also have a standup foregrip. Well, good luck, I hope this helped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.