NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Al or anyone,

My father wants to try trolling for stripers this weekend. I want to try using shad bodies. I was wondering what is the best way to rig them. I have heard that I should use an umbrella rig, but how do you rig the shad on the hooks? I have an assortment of large bass assasins that I use on lead heads. Do I just run a bare hook through the body the same as I would a jig head. If so, what keeps the body from sliding on the hook?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also,

Does anyone recommend a particular color right now? (Chartruse, White, Blue backs, etc) and can I mix and match or should they all be the same on the umbrella rig?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Al,

That helps a lot. Dad has a wireline rod he wants to troll spoons with and I am borrowing a rod with leadcore line. We'll be fishing out of Moriches and East, so I will definately try the Bluebacks. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Al,

Thanks again for the help. The gulls and gannets were working about a mile east of Moriches Inlet this morning. The fishing was great. We tried trolling for about ten minutes, caught one and went back to casting. It was my first try at it and probably my last. I think I would rather not catch fish while casting or using bait, then drag one behind the boat on wire.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Steve,

That had to be a fun time getting those fish to the boat together. How do you troll the umbrella with mono, big drail, downrigger, planer board and how deep can you go? Catching the fish on mono would be a lot more fun then using the wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.