NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like wire, so I thought I might try pulling leadcore. Does anyone have any experience with the stuff?
What type of knot do I use to connect the backing & leader?

Thanks-

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dear Steve,
I've been trolling leadcore for 2 years now and over the last 20 trips i haven't been skunked,
I've turned all my buddies on to the leadcore. It's very simple to use1 color drops you to about
4 feet,connection from main line to leadcore is any of your favorite knots for joining two different
diameters, and you need no special rods or reels to use. My setup consists of 20lb test main line,
35lb test leadcore,a 6 1/2 ft uglystick rated for 20-40lb test,and a PENN 330gtI reel.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I used an albright & it looks pretty solid. Thanks for the info regarding depth. I only began trolling last year & had great success with shad umbrellas. I would like to use bunker spoons & I have some Mann's Stretch plugs also. What do you find most productive?

Thanks again,

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Steve,
I use shad and tube rigs usually-haven't tried bunker spoons yet, waiting for the bigger stripers
too move in before i start using spoons. Stretches are a mainstay in my spread also, but i troll those on mono. Last trip was fri-trolled up my boat limit within half an hour on the 15ft flats off of
Roamer light-3 colors down with white and chartreuse shad rigs, eeled same area had some runoffs, then bucktailed and surface plugged another half dozen off of the earle pier.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've been using lead-core for 6-7 years. I love it, I'll never use wire again. The only knock I have on it is you might want to take it off your reels over the winter because it seems to hold a little of that salt water and can corrode the spool.

scratcher

·
Registered
25 Posts
steve, spoons work on leadcore setups but the rod is the main factor. the more flexible the rod is , the more action you will have with the spoon on the sweep.i'm an advocate of leadcore and have had it side by side with a wire setup and have had better success with leadcore due to the ease and accuracy. i use the uni knot to join the 2 lines tegether and tie leader material with double surgeon knot. i would not use it with a levelwind reel due to the knots get stuck in the guide. the stuff will last 2 seasons but i suggest to change annually due the corrosion factor as stated on a previous feedback.113h is a great reel as you can get all the leadcore on or fit 200 yds of leadcore on it if you really need it for deep drops like the narrows of the verrazano. you can actually kink this line with no damage to the line. hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been fishing with lead core line for over 15 years. I started out using it to pull "Dave Davis" spoons for Lake Trout and Salmon in Lake Champlain. I've been using it in Raritan bay for two years now and find that it works exceptionally well with umbrella rigs, spoons, and stretches. The colors make setting the depth very easy and the line will not damage your reel or rod guides. It's also alot safer, especially with kids around.
I use a modified nail knot to join my leader to the lead core line. here's a URL with illustrated instructions:

http://www.edersfishing.com/fresh/publication/2000/September/Knots/default.cfm

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Stephen,

I've also been using leadcore for over a decade and love it. Just to confirm a few things that you and others mentione

-Yes the albright not is ideal.

-Yes, you need to pay extra attention to washing the line after use because it does hold salt if not properly cleaned. I actually unspool the leadcore each winter and re-use the line again the following summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.