NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the A/C boat show and was looking at the 235 cc TRIUMPH and was wondering if any first hand experience was available. Has any reader ever owned or ridden on the TRIUMPHS ? THOUGHTS ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've owned 2 of them. I had the 190 Bay and currently have the 210 Chaos which is basically the current 215. I have a 150 Yamaha 4s on the transom. Bulletproof hull. Very dry. Soft ride. Excellent fuel economy. PM me if you'd like to talk or want a ride.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the 17 that I keep in the yard with an 85 2s on the tail. If she had wings it would fly? The boat is unsinkable, I was gone for a month and the bat went dead, she filled with water and it still wouldn?t go under, pumped it out and replaced the battery, then went fishing.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Triumph...

Check out the 'quality control videos' of what they do to these boats on their website. You won't ever see any other manufacturer doing this, that is for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are junk. Im telling you, do some research and you will find hundreds of horror stories. I was down in South Carolina this past fall, driving by a boating dealer I saw this Triumph out front, all WARPED to heck. In awe, I drove back and took a closer look. The sides were totally wavy, the bottom was hooked, and it looked like a total loss to me, yet it had a for sale sign on it.

I have seen photos of many like this. It wasn't until I saw it in person that I understood how these boats really were.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So let me get this straight, you need to store it on a special trailer, and if you don't have that special trailer, it needs to be stored on a special cradle NOT on stands like every other boat? That sounds like what your saying, and backs up what I have read.

Why would you want a boat that has a natural tendency to warp? Every other boat sits on a conventional set of stands, or a standard trailer..... Put this plastic boat on the same and it turns into a warped boat. Great.

I have also been told that the hull material weakens with age due to UV exposure. A plastics expert on The Hull Truth said that after 10 years of UV exposure the hulls have lost 50% of their strength. Dont know it this is true or not, but seems to reason.

Also as a heads up to buyers, screws will not hold in the hull. Special adhesive needs to be used if you screw into anything or else they will back out.

This post edited by Johnshan 08:06 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
747 Posts
You ARE paying attention.Bravo!Yes, the hull must be stored either on its trailer or you can support it yourself with a cradle. Yes this is different than a fiberglass hull which is rigid and can just sit on a few wooden blocks,without any special support. Is this a pain in the neck? It depends on how you look at it. If you buy a trailer its really simple-haul the boat and put it on the trailer. That's the easiest way to store it and truthfully , if I was going to buy a new Triumph that's the way I'd go. Nice and easy. No muss, no fuss. If you want to avoid the whole trailer thingy set the boat in a rack and use 2 x 4s to support it. It takes me about 2 hours to lay it up and I've always done it by MYSELF. The flip side to this is you have a hull that is very soft riding, needs no waxing, has no gel coat to chip, shrugs off impacts with docks, pilings and the assorted flotsam common to N.Y. Harbor, and only needs to be hosed off after a day on the water. I've had 3 screws loosen during the 5 years I've had 2 boats; they can be reset using a special selant for polethylene which costs about $8 a tube (hardly a prohibitive expense if necessary). Are the boats perfect. No. Are they "junk"? No. They're just different. Go to the Triumph Owners website and see what the people who own them think.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
trailer..

Johnshan wrote:
So let me get this straight, you need to store it on a special trailer, and if you don't have that special trailer, it needs to be stored on a special cradle NOT on stands like every other boat? That sounds like what your saying, and backs up what I have read.

Maritime Skiff and Boston Whaler are a couple others that require special trailers for proper hull support. I am 'guessing' you didn't know that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am well aware that they use bunk trailers. These are not "special" by any stretch of the imagination.

The triumph that I saw up close and personal that was warped to heck and back was on a bunk trailer.

This post edited by Johnshan 09:51 PM 02/11/2008

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.