NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al,

I am going to Florida in the middle of May to visit some friends and go fishing in Boca Grande Pass for some Tarpon and other fishing. I went last year and got skunked with the tarpon. My question is if you guys have any tips for flying with tackle. I have a rod tube for the 4 rods (up to seven foot) that I am bringing and I have already spoken to Jet Blue to make sure of what I can bring size wise. I am also going to be locking all of my tackle and reels in a hard suitcase. Is there anything else to do? I have read aobut the horror stories of stolen gear and I want prepare however I can.

Thanks Al and anyone else who replys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure I can add a lot to what you've already planned, but if you have a store-bought rod carrier, make sure it has 2 locks on it. One to lock the door where you put the rods and the other to either replace the sizing pin or lock the sizing pin in place, depending on the design. Other than that, I think you are doing all the right things.

Also make sure you put plenty of padding around your rod tips so they don't rattle around in the carrier.

The only other option is to carry your reels on the plane, but I'm hearing that some airport security won't let you take them as carry on unless you strip the line off them.

Have a great trip!

Art

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Baja, I have a good lockable tube. My biggest concern is theft from the carasel. I'll be sure to be one of the first ones at it so no one gets their hands on it. I'll also permanantly affix my name, so it can't be mistaken.

Crag, I was thinking of doing that. I still haven't ruled it out, but I have received two broken rods in the mail (not in a hard case) and I am now hesitant to use the mail.

Thanks again
Chris

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
doughboy Wrote:
… I am going to Florida in the middle of May to visit some friends and go fishing in Boca Grande Pass for some Tarpon and other fishing. I went last year and got skunked with the tarpon. My question is if you guys have any tips for flying with tackle. I have a rod tube for the 4 rods (up to seven foot) that I am bringing and I have already spoken to Jet Blue to make sure of what I can bring size wise. I am also going to be locking all of my tackle and reels in a hard suitcase. Is there anything else to do? I have read aobut the horror stories of stolen gear and I want prepare however I can.

Take my advice because I travel a lot to fish and I've had my shares of mishaps "major nightmares" with my luggage and gears! Without elaborating my mishaps… Here are my recommendations!

1) Fed. Express or UPS (with insurance) in advance (before your arrival) to the final destination…. This way you know your gears arrived safely! This way there is no hassle with customs and waiting in line for the oversized tube (rods).

2) Other option is to buy the goriest looking bags with locks (crooks will have second thoughts about stealing - because it is too obvious and identifiable) and personalize it that only you can undisputedly claim that it's yours!

3) As for the rods… Make sure you have locks and the tubes should be sprayed in BIG LETTERS with your name!

Since the tragic Sept. 11 horror, security has increased considerably and they are now banning mechanical carry on (reels with line, hooks, knifes, scissors, and anything else that appears dangerous). Also, no rods are allowed (including 3 & 4 pc. Flyrods) and it must be checked in!

Another good advice to you is… Make sure your carry on luggage is with you at all times regardless…! Believe me… there are professional airport thieves that prey on travelers! If you are not careful… You will be surprised to know that your carry on bags has legs and can disappear like magic!

This leaves me with a true story… Let's just say that there is a respectable news worthy film company that checks in their expensive video production cameras, recording devices etc… in a secure box with lots of duck tape wrapped around it… but the kicker is…. In the first layer (as you unwrap) it is coated with cow manure! True story!

Talking about extremes… what do you think about that idea? :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Al,

I think you talked me into it. I just checked it out online and it looks like it will only cost about $15 bucks each way to use UPS for the rod tube and insurance. The reels and tackle I will check on the plane.

I think I would rather give them my stuff than to go through the lengths of wraping manure in duct tape around my packs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
doughboy wrote:
… I think I would rather give them my stuff than to go through the lengths of wraping manure in duct tape around my packs.

doughboy
I totally agree… But If had to pack ALL my fishing stuff… I will probably consider going that route. :)

Have a great trip at Boca Grande and make sure you come back with great fishing report!
If you have any other questions… Shoot! :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Traveling

These guys have nailed it for you. I too travel to Florida for tarpon (I get about 15 tarpon days per year) and Fed Ex is the way to go. I have started sending my reels also. I got pounded in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and it was really ugly. Remember, most of these security guards are hired from the lowest strata and it's not worth it. They then tried to make me check my reel bag (figure out how much 5 Tibors each with an extra spool and all the lines cost). UPS EVERYTHING
PS Do you have a good guide? If you need a suggestion email me at [email protected]. I put 6 tarpon at the boat in two days last year - and I credit the guide not my skill (I cast like the ******* I am)

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Onthefly for the guide offer. I see you just had a great trip. I am going down to stay with friends and we will be using his boat and the very untechnical ball jig technique. I went a month and a half earlier last year and while the fish were there ,other boats were hooking up, it wasn't as good a bite as it is supposed to be in May. I am kind of twisting their arms to go for tarpon anyway. They would rather go offshore. Sometime I am going to get out there and try to fish the flats for the tarpon. Fishing the pass actually seems kind of boring compared to the runs and leaps of the flats fishing. In the pass you hook the fish, it leaps a few times (AWESOME!) and then it sounds and the boat follows it around for the next hour or so until it is ready to come up for some more action. Then you try to release it before the sharks get it(Cool but sad too). Every fish I saw caught there last year was over a hundred pounds. That is what I am hoping for, the big king silverside.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Travel

The airlines ( American ) will no longer allow rods over 62" and they must be packed in an approved case. I am going to Cabo in June and if the rod is longer than 5' 2" it is $100 each way. I guess using Fed X nationally is fine but out of the country may pose a problem. I am staying at a resort so I will check with Fed X also(thanks). Traveling with rods has become much more difficult since 9/11.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
sweetP wrote:
The airlines ( American ) will no longer allow rods over 62" and they must be packed in an approved case. I am going to Cabo in June and if the rod is longer than 5' 2" it is $100 each way. I guess using Fed X nationally is fine but out of the country may pose a problem. I am staying at a resort so I will check with Fed X also(thanks). Traveling with rods has become much more difficult since 9/11..

BTW: June is a great month to fish Cabo! ;) Good Luck!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
69 Posts
travel rod

Hey Al thanks but what do the airlines mean by an approved travel case? I am lookng to purchase a graphite travel rod since my other Loomis rods are one piece and will stay home this time. I am not spending $300+ for another three piece Loomis. Any suggestions but it must be able to handle a rooster, mahi, pargo or trevally. Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another quite inexpensive idea.

When my family makes our trips to Florida to visit my grandfather... About 3-4 times a year, we bring most of our rods, 9 rods, 2 spinning reels, 7 conventionals. The reels were in carry-on, but now we put them in a samsonite.

So, he makes it hard for anyone to take them. They are painted by him, the ends are done in Flourescent Yellow and Pink, the middle is done in bright white (This white is too white for anything else!), and he then painted our address/name/etc. in nice big old block letters....

The only damage ever done is a few scratches in the paint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HEY D/B, I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT EM. MY WIFE THINKS I'M NUTS BUT I ALWAYS BRING 2 POLES,GEAR ETC. I USED TO NEVER PUT THEM IN A ROD CASE AND JUST TIE THEM UP WITHOUT THE REELS ON THEM AND CARY THEM RIGHT ON THE PLANE. I ALWAYS GOT HASSLED BUT ALWAYS GOT AWAY WITH IT. ONE YEAR MY WIFE DECIDED IT WAS TIME FOR A ROD CASE SO SHE BOUGHT ME ONE. LET'S PUT IT THIS WAY , THANK GOODNESS I CARRIED MY REELS IN MY CARY ON BECAUSE WHEN I LANDED AT KENNEDY THE REELS WERE HOMELESS, GOOD LUCK, STAY WET.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HEY D/B, I DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT EM. MY WIFE THINKS I'M NUTS BUT I ALWAYS BRING 2 POLES,GEAR ETC. I USED TO NEVER PUT THEM IN A ROD CASE AND JUST TIE THEM UP WITHOUT THE REELS ON THEM AND CARY THEM RIGHT ON THE PLANE. I ALWAYS GOT HASSLED BUT ALWAYS GOT AWAY WITH IT. ONE YEAR MY WIFE DECIDED IT WAS TIME FOR A ROD CASE SO SHE BOUGHT ME ONE. LET'S PUT IT THIS WAY , THANK GOODNESS I CARRIED MY REELS IN MY CARY ON BECAUSE WHEN I LANDED AT KENNEDY THE REELS WERE HOMELESS, GOOD LUCK, STAY WET.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
sweetP wrote:
Hey Al thanks but what do the airlines mean by an approved travel case? I am lookng to purchase a graphite travel rod since my other Loomis rods are one piece and will stay home this time. I am not spending $300+ for another three piece Loomis. Any suggestions but it must be able to handle a rooster, mahi, pargo or trevally.

Either way, if you plan to check in your rod & equipment, the best way to prevent it from theft and mishap is by doing the following:
1) Use a safe and indestructible luggage
2) Lock it with several locks, Paint it with bright colors so it can be identifiable at great distance.
3) Get insurance!

Since you are targeting rooster, mahi, pargo and trevally…. You should be OK with a 10 wt. fly outfit, 15-20 lbs. test spinning -or- conventional outfit!

Just curious… What are you planning to use (bait - lures - flies) for those tropical species?

Hope this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
jmc91881 wrote:
Another quite inexpensive idea. When my family makes our trips to Florida to visit my grandfather... About 3-4 times a year, we bring most of our rods, 9 rods, 2 spinning reels, 7 conventionals. The reels were in carry-on, but now we put them in a samsonite.
So, he makes it hard for anyone to take them. They are painted by him, the ends are done in Flourescent Yellow and Pink, the middle is done in bright white (This white is too white for anything else!), and he then painted our address/name/etc. in nice big old block letters....
The only damage ever done is a few scratches in the paint. .

Thanks for the post and that is an excellent advice! :)

Which part of Florida and what species did you target?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Traveling

Here is the latest from American Airlines. First they told me there was a $45 charge each way to bring a rod on board up to 45 linear inches long or 62 linear inches in cargo. Then after some checking they tell me that between May 25 and September no packages, bundles or bags on the plane, none meaning no rods. If I wait till next week there will be changes, I am sure of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Checking rod cases on Delta

SweetP ... your post prompted me to call Delta. I'm traveling to Cabo in August on their airline and I wanted to check their policy on taking rods.

I explained that my carrier (it's a Bazuka Pro) is around 10" in diameter and will be about 90" long (to handle up to 7' rods). They said no problem to check them, but: 1. the rod carrier counts as one of two pieces of luggage and 2. there would be a $50 charge each way to handle it since it could not travel on their baggage belts and has to be hand carried.

I'll check again before I go, but I told them of the American policy to not allow rods beginning soon and they double checked. Delta has no such policy. It's ok to take a rod carrier.

I'm considering the FedEx or UPS option to get my stuff to Mexico, but the place I'm going is an hour north of Cabo with no phones, dirt roads and very limited services. I suspect it will be big $$ to ship my Bazuka. But I'll check with these carriers and see what they say.

Art

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Get it in WRITING!!!!!!!

bajawishin,

When I called customer service on JetBlue they told me that the same size rod tube would be fine. I spoke to three people including a manager. However no one would put it in writing. So I emailed the company and asked for a response in writing with a name and a title. I got a response that told me the rod tube was oversized. Just get it in writing so you have something to show incase they hassel you. You don't want to have to leave then behind when you are at the airport. Good luck.

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.