NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've always had the transom mount tranducer with an outboard and never had a problem. I'm leaning once again towards the transom mount because it's easy to get to clean and replace if need be. Are there any advantages of having the thru hull?

Thanks.

OMD

·
Registered
826 Posts
Mako is correct...

The only drawback with the transoms are dirtier water and cavitation.

If you use the thru hull you can also get the high speed ferring block and this will allow for reading at a faster speed. Depending on what kind of water you are running thru!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ask the dealer for thier experiances with this exact boat model and fishfinder model. Some boats work great with a transom mount, others don't. A transom mount is easier and there is no chance of leaking.. but in general a through hull works better.

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
Barb, your new Grady deserves a thru-hull mount...much cleaner and functions better as well...I'd be shocked if GW would void your warranty if you had a thru-hull installed by a reputable technician.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The thru-hull is the best idea, a transom mount is OK, but since your a charter Capt., I stick with the thru hull. But, there is another option....you may want to look at a shoot thru-hull transducer, meaning the transducer is placed where a normal thru-hull transducer might be, but it does not physically penetrate the hull, instead its signal shoots and returns thru the fiberglass.

You Grady if I'm not mistaken should be equipped with a special mouting pad for that transducer. If you choose to go with a thru hull, I doubt Grady would void the warranty. The bottom of the hull is solid glass, so that should make the install somewhat easier and stressfree...the hullsides are balsa cored.

-Alex

This post edited by GradySailfish 04:49 PM 01/08/2008

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It must be deja vu all over again!

Similar Discussion in Earlier Thread

Get an AIRMAR B60 tilted element thru hull transducer. Paint it with Anti-Fouling Transducer paint and it will stay clean all season. You won't have to fuss with a transom mount that always pops up at the wrong time either. Then you'll have the the performance of a thru hull, without the bulky fairing block and you'll be happy!

This post edited by Mad Mahi 05:59 PM 01/08/2008

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GradySailfish wrote:

But, there is another option....you may want to look at a shoot thru-hull transducer, meaning the transducer is placed where a normal thru-hull transducer might be, but it does not physically penetrate the hull, instead its signal shoots and returns thru the fiberglass. cored.

-Alex

Alex, Iv'e heard of this, but don't know anyone that used it. It's pretty new to the market, has anyone you know used it? Wondering how acurate it will be.

Mad Mahi wrote:

Get an AIRMAR B60 tilted element thru hull transducer. Paint it with Anti-Fouling Transducer paint and it will stay clean all season.

I thought it's illegal to use anti fouling tranducer paint, unless I'm getting mixed up with the spray paint I use to use on the engine bracket. Which reminds me.....Where can I get that spray from? It worked the best. My friend told me CT. Was just wondering if it is still in the Long Island area anymore.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Onemoredrift wrote:
GradySailfish wrote:

But, there is another option....you may want to look at a shoot thru-hull transducer, meaning the transducer is placed where a normal thru-hull transducer might be, but it does not physically penetrate the hull, instead its signal shoots and returns thru the fiberglass. cored.

-Alex

Alex, Iv'e heard of this, but don't know anyone that used it. It's pretty new to the market, has anyone you know used it? Wondering how acurate it will be.

Mad Mahi wrote:

Get an AIRMAR B60 tilted element thru hull transducer. Paint it with Anti-Fouling Transducer paint and it will stay clean all season.

I thought it's illegal to use anti fouling tranducer paint, unless I'm getting mixed up with the spray paint I use to use on the engine bracket. Which reminds me.....Where can I get that spray from? It worked the best. My friend told me CT. Was just wondering if it is still in the Long Island area anymore.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Installing a "shoot through" ducer usually has the advantage in allowing an installation in an area of the hull that has the cleanest water, while not having to make a hole in the bottom of the boat.

However, the disadvantage is that you are sending and receiving your sonar signal through the the hull itself. Depending on the materials and the thickness, this can result in as much as 10-15 % lost impulse in a typical installation. It is also not as acoustically "clean" as through hull. BTW- Shoot through transducers are not new. They have been around quite a few years.

If your concern is another "hole" in the bottom of the boat, you already have a few that were made by the factory, so what is one more? Besides, the most common failure in a through hull is usually the result of a very hard impact to a transducer that sits an inch or more below the hull surface. The tilted element transducers have been around a few years now, and I can honestly say I have not heard of one leaking except in really botched installation job.Since they are almost flush with the hull surface. it is nearly impossible to knock them loose upon impact.

As far as transducer paint being illegal, not so. Almost all of the major manufacturers produce non toxic, safe and legal transducer paint in small quantities just for that purpose. I think the paint you are referring to was meant for outdrive use, and is really difficult to find, as it is no longer made.

This post edited by Mad Mahi 09:46 PM 01/08/2008

·
Registered
99 Posts
tilted element is the way to go

Barb,

I have the tilted element installed in my boat and installed on in my buddy's parker. I think it is by far the best solution. You get the benefits of the thru-hull, without needing the faring block.

Mine holds bottom to 44MPH. I have it matched to a Furuno FF. Three seasons with no problems.

Anti-fouling paint wise, I would call Airmar and see what they suggest.

A great place to buy them is byownerelectronics.com Jim gives great deals.

When your dealer installs it, asks him to use 4200, not 5200 which will make it just about impossible to get back out.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have heard great things about the tilted element 'ducer but I did not want the drilling. I went with that Airmar P79 "shoot thru". It is easily adjustable to the hull's deadrise.

I hear about these types losing some signal going thru the hull but I cannot imagine how much clearer a picture I would need. This setup maintains bottom up on plane, is plenty sensitive enough to mark bait and fish on the bottom. I have nothing but good things to say about this setup in water out to 80-90 feet. I'm sure it would work deeper than that as well but I have not needed to run out that deep bassing and/or fluking outside FI Inlet. :)

I do sacrifice water temp but that is my trade off for not drilling. An external source can be added for the water temp if wanted anyways. :)

Paul

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Use the B-60 Mahi mentioned earlier or a shoot through hull. You're a pro now. ! The shoot thru hull have been around a while and are respected.

As for the paint, the transducer paint is perfectly legal, it comes in those little bottles with brush in the cap.

The paint you speak of is paint used on aluminum surfaces and what once contained tributyl tin. It is illegal now, but Petit and Interlux have come up with solutions. Interlux now even has a effective clear paint you can paint your new motor and keep looking nice and shiny.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Barb, tilted element thru-hull!!!!!
by far the best choice. You're a charter captain? well then your clients deserve the best. Besides, you already have a Grady...dont start scrimping now on the ducer lol.

·
Registered
16,169 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:
Barb, tilted element thru-hull!!!!!
by far the best choice. You're a charter captain? well then your clients deserve the best. Besides, you already have a Grady...dont start scrimping now on the ducer lol.

Barbara I've had all three transducers and HANDS DOWN the Thru-HULL is the ONLY one I'll ever use again. If you would have came on my boat this year I could have shown you side by side thru hull and transome mount. They didn't offer the thru hull on the hummingbird so I had to use the transome mount. It sucks compared to the Garmin Thru hull. Need less to say I have the thru hull for the humming bird now and will install it this spring. That Garmin I can't say enough about it. Here's afew pic's of the fall run I shot. Wish I took a few more the screen was all most full from time to time. Too busy fishing LOL

This post edited by stpaul7 09:53 AM 01/09/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
Since you fish the Sund, the 600w B-60 should be more than enough.

I have it for my Ray and I get great readings from it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.