NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am do the homework to build myself a homemade livewell using a plastic 55 gallon drum cut down to size and this Rule transom mount setup.

http://www.rule-industries.com/prod...ransom_mount_livewell_pumps/iid_308/index.htm

I know this type of setup has been done countless times. I am hoping to get some feedback, pros and cons, etc. So far the only negative comments I have been able to find is related to the pump filter size. It seems that the filter must be swapped out to a larger unit to allow better water flow. I also understand that the pump will not last forever; the replacement pump seems to be cheap enough to replace mid season ($20 or so).

Thanks in advance!

MT

This post edited by marktore 12:18 AM 02/06/2008

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I've had that setup.. and it works ok, however I've never had good luck with anything other than high pressure low flow self priming pumps for livewells. The bilge style pumps always seem to find a way to get airlocked and fouled up.

My reccomendation is to use a through-hull setup with a high pressure low flow self priming pump.. your options:

1. power it using your existing washdown pump, simply add a fitting on the livewell for garden hose instead of the input for the bilge style pump and use the pump you've got to power it

2. add a Y in the hose that feeds your existing washdown pump; add another pump which is rated for continuous use in this case as you may as well use the 100% correct style pump for the job, however any pump is ok.. this is what I did, works perfectly even when underway. Self priming pumps are nice because they are not affected by sucking up a little air, my through hull doesn't even have a pickup on it and my washdown works at 40+ MPH.

3. add a new through hull with a sea****, possibly with a pickup, and plumb a dedicated pump.. it's not as difficult or scary a job as it might sound, it just takes a little extra time & $$ but the end result is definitely the best

Jon

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PWR.

PURSUITWA wrote:
How do you powere that pump?

The pump is powered by running 2 leads to your battery or if available the second battery. Overall the installation is not as clean as one may want; the good thing is at the end of the day the pump is 100% removable with no signs remaining.

I am not considering a through hull due to the design and age of my boat. If I had a new rig with no intentions of upgrading I would 100% go with the through hull.

MT

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leakyrivot said:
I've had that setup.. and it works ok, however I've never had good luck with anything other than high pressure low flow self priming pumps for livewells. The bilge style pumps always seem to find a way to get airlocked and fouled up.

Leakyrivot...the more I do the homework I am now leaning to go with the through hull. I just have to figure out whats going to be the best location in my boat to drill.

Here is a good link I found for anyone looking to possible do a through hull fitting.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/07.htm

MT

This post edited by marktore 11:47 AM 02/07/2008

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I just installed a live well on my boat this season. If you go to west marine they have a Marelon (plastic) sea**** and a Marelon thru hull fitting with matching threads. It's less expensive then brass and you don't have to worry about grounding and sacraficial anodes and all that crap.

If you use this you will need to cut the thu hull fitting down to fit your hull thickness, If you have any questions or just need some reasurance feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
over the transome set up

Installed this last year and had no problems through the season. 20 foot grady adventure so not a lot of deck space. Took off the seating rail on the back seat so I had a flat surface off the floor. Overflow is from top of tank and right over the transom. Bought a snap on pump for supply that is attached on the out side of the transom next to my outboard. Snaked the waterproof wires and water supply over the motor cutout and to the tank and battery. End of the day drain is also over the transom. Worked great on killies, snappers and bunker. Go to www.LiveBaitLarry.com for supply or West marine a little more expensive. Went over the transom as I sunk a boat once with a thru hull fitting and swore never to have another hole in below the water line!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.