NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Long Island Rail Road is working on contingency plans in case of a strike by Amtrak workers at the end of the month, according to railroad officials.

If a strike does take place, the LIRR, along with the New Jersey Transit system, would be swept up in the national work stoppage -- Amtrak owns the tracks at Pennsylvania Station, and the strike would effectively shut it down.

The strike cannot happen before 12:01 a.m. Jan. 30, since the two sides are in a 30-day cooling-off period mandated by federal law. Amtrak workers have been without a contract since 2000.

"The LIRR is closely monitoring the situation with Amtrak and is developing contingency plans with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in the event of a strike," LIRR president Helena Williams said in a statement. Details of the plans have not been finalized. About 85,000 LIRR riders commute to Penn Station during the morning rush hour, according to an LIRR official.

"It will be a complete and utter nightmare," said Gerry Bringmann, president of the LIRR Commuter Council, an advocacy group. He said people who work in Midtown, for example, and now walk a short way to their offices might have to take the LIRR to Jamaica station and then the E train to the 34th Street stop. "You're adding half an hour into the commute, easy," he said.

Subways would continue to run during the strike.

On Dec. 1, President Bush empaneled the five-person Presidential Emergency Board to investigate the contract dispute between Amtrak and nine unions representing such craft workers as signalmen, maintenance workers, firemen and oilers. The report, released Thursday by the White House, recommends that Amtrak employees receive back wages and pay increases, and there be no substantive work rule changes.

"All the unions will be prepared to make settlements based on the recommendations, and the ball will be in Amtrak's court," said Joel Parker, vice president of the Transportation Communication Union. "The unions do not want to strike," he said. "The recommendations provide the basis for a settlement." A strike would affect Amtrak trains across the country, he said.

An Amtrak official said the railway plans to carefully review the recommendations of the PEB, but is worried about covering the increased costs. "Amtrak's concern has always been the railroad's ability to make pay increases retroactive and to achieve efficiencies through work rule reform, and we'll be looking closely at the recommendations, particularly as they relate to these issues," an Amtrak official said in a statement.

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
If there is a strike you can take the LIRR to:

Jamica and get the "E" or walk to Hillside Ave and get the "F".

Woodside and get the "7"

FBA and get the 2 3 4 5 B D M N Q R

They will probably run extras down the lower Montauk into LIC where ther is a ferry dock. The ferry will probably be run as a temporary measure during the emergency

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
not again

not again, i still didnt get my blood pressure down from the last transit strike, where i had to get off at penn, leave penn, walk to 33st take the jersey train to journal square new jersey, then take the path train back to the world trade center site, what a nightmare.
carl
offracing

This post edited by offracing 12:47 AM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
420 Posts
ITS ALL BULL NOTHING CHAGES BUT WE HAVE TO PAY MORE. WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO ? if all these people travel thru the transit every day why do they keep raSING COST.

This post edited by MakoMike 10:17 AM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FAMBUIS wrote:
ITS ALL BULL NOTHING CHAGES BUT WE HAVE TO PAY MORE. WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO ? if all these people travel thru the transit every day why do they keep raSING COST.

Unless you use Amtrak your everday cost isnt going to rise

This post edited by MakoMike 10:17 AM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
716 Posts
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
FAMBUIS wrote:

Really. That's news to me. I take the LIRR and subway everyday. How about you?

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. The MTA finance committee just approved a motion to increase the average LIRR fare 4% and to increase the cost for the monthly unlimited metrocard by $5 to $81 or @ 6.6%.

Hey Offshore. I did that 1 day during the last strike. After that I took the train to Flatbush and walked over the Brooklyn Bridge - about 45 minutes if you walked fast. Something to consider...

This post edited by MakoMike 10:18 AM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flattie wrote:
STRIKERTHREE wrote:
FAMBUIS wrote:

Really. That's news to me. I take the LIRR and subway everyday. How about you?

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. The MTA finance committee just approved a motion to increase the average LIRR fare 4% and to increase the cost for the monthly unlimited metrocard by $5 to $81 or @ 6.6%.

Hey Offshore. I did that 1 day during the last strike. After that I took the train to Flatbush and walked over the Brooklyn Bridge - about 45 minutes if you walked fast. Something to consider...

I drive everyday into the city you couldnt pay me to ride the train that 4% increase has nothing to do with the Amtrak employees as there not employees of the MTA its entirely different company but Amtrak owns the tracks within Penn Station which is why the LIRR wouldnt be able to enter the city

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aviator wrote:
If they go out, Bush should give the strikers a patco on the back of the head.

And why is that there not federal or state employees and have the right to strike just like every other non taylor law employee

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crabman1130 wrote:
8 years without a contract. Do you blame them? Would you like to go 8 years without a raise?

Exactly but your gonna hear guy say " I would leave if my company didnt give me a raise in 8 years" those are guys with jobs not careers when you have a pension and benefits after retirement vested you have allot to lose by going to just "another job"

·
Registered
716 Posts
crabman1130 wrote:
8 years without a contract. Do you blame them? Would you like to go 8 years without a raise?

They've had cost of living increases every year that they've been without a contract - not exactly the same as going 8 years without a raise.

Amtrak put a 24% wage increase from now to 2010 - and the union has said thanks but no thanks we need more. Greed pure and simple. Just like the Subway strike - but they'll tell you it was about "respect"

Yeah right whatever.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
crabby wrote:
If there is a strike you can take the LIRR to:

Jamica and get the "E" or walk to Hillside Ave and get the "F".

Woodside and get the "7"

FBA and get the 2 3 4 5 B D M N Q R

or stay home
:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
flattie wrote:
crabman1130 wrote:

They've had cost of living increases every year that they've been without a contract - not exactly the same as going 8 years without a raise.

Amtrak put a 24% wage increase from now to 2010 - and the union has said thanks but no thanks we need more. Greed pure and simple. Just like the Subway strike - but they'll tell you it was about "respect"

Yeah right whatever.

once the contract expires there are no raises till a new contract is agreed and signed ask me how I know, why would they agree to 24% thats less than 3% raise. The new contract would be retoactive till when it expired 8 years ago so agree on a 10 year contract with a 2.4% wage increase yeah that seems like its a really fair raise, A 3.5-4.5 increase is fair not 2.5 seems more like the companies cheap

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 10:38 PM 01/06/2008

·
Banned
7,173 Posts
all the union employee's want raises when they are already doing well. yet the general public feels the auto industry should not make a dime. 8 years without a raise? try the auto industry. 8 years and the income is cut in half. does not matter which manufacturer you work for.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tiderunner70 wrote:
all the union employee's want raises when they are already doing well. yet the general public feels the auto industry should not make a dime. 8 years without a raise? try the auto industry. 8 years and the income is cut in half. does not matter which manufacturer you work for.

Seems Toyota and Honda are giving out annual raises heck Honda been giving out bonuses for 23 straight years to its employees must be just the Big 3, and how do you know the Amtrak employees are doing well what do you consider a good wage to live in NY let me hear some figures from you??

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 10:58 PM 01/06/2008

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aviator wrote:
Once they interfere with someone elses abiity to work or get to work, I have no sympathy for them.

So as long as your getting your raises and making yourself good money shyt the next guy whos working just as hard who wants a fair raise, I wouldnt want you having my back for anything

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 04:18 AM 01/07/2008

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.