NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Very sad...

I agree Mahi....it seems that just about every incident that I can think of in the last few years involving rec fishermen on small boats have the same things in common.

Weather....lack of life jackets on board...and or improper rigging or anchoring or mechanical seaworthiness.

I was driving over the RM bridge yesterday and took notice of the slop out there.....felt glad that I slept late.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've got a 25' hydra-sports walk around with a full enclosure. I got as far as the mouth of the Thames River and turned around to go home!! Sure I was disappointed, but common sense told me that even if I ventured out, I wasn't going to have any fun trying to fish in those conditions. I can't fathom trying to do anything, let alone maintaining one's balance in a smaller craft on these kind of days.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but such a tragedy is a tough lesson for anyone to learn basic safe boating skills.

·
Registered
426 Posts
TRAGEDY

MAHI,
You,re not being heartless.As recreational fishermen,we need to step back and sometimes use common sense.Our fun,our hobby,should not become our overwhelming obsession!!! If better judgement had prevailed,this could have,and should have been avoided.Let's not even try to sugar-coat this. No fish is worth losing your life over!!! If just one fisherman who is way too into his sport, is given a wake-up call on this,then this tragedy will not be meaningless.HAVE FUN,but also BE SAFE!!!
Being in a downpour,with 25 kt. winds,no life jackets,or preservers,is not using your head. If any of you have allowed fishing to become an obsession,PLEASE heed this tragedy as a time for some serious self-reflection.
My heart goes out to all those affected by this tragedy,with sincere hope it can be avoided in the future.

SEAWOLF

·
Registered
404 Posts
live and learn

i don't mind heavy rain.
i don't mind strong wind.

but heavy rain AND strong wind - that's where i draw the line.

i was back at the ramp at 3:00 am and sound asleep at 6:00 am, when they headed out.

btw, the first guy on the scene, a private tow boat operator named mark murphy, is an old salty friend that i have lost touch with over the years. if you're reading this murph - nice try.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
498 Posts
No excuse

For not having life vests, if you got enough for the boat you should at least have a few bucks left over to buy life jackets, with all the different options available(sospenders) that are light wieght and comfortable there is no excuse. That guy is right he killed his best friend!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Opinari, winds, rain & factor in 50 degree water as well

The other thing to discuss here is YOU CANT GET SIDEWAYS IN CRESTING 4 FTRS.
You got to carve them up & take em on. Also, make sure the boats scuppers are functionable, bildge pumps, radio life jackets as mentioned.
My heart goes out to the familys but I picture much recklessness or mistakes here.
It is a good discussion or post because one has to be reminded of how QUICKLY it can all end out there.
Not to sound cold but think of the fallout with the insurance companys ect. , I wonder if he even had it?
Alan

·
Registered
384 Posts
Since I'm the only known fishing fanatic at my office, my co-workers (and some outside firends) have been emailing me this story all day long. Of course, some have asked whether I knew the individuals involved. At first I thought the question was narrow-minded (sure all of us fisherman know each other), but then I thought about it. It wasn't that silly of a question-We do belong to a "community" of sorts. We all share a common passion for the sea and sport. In that light, we have all suffered a "loss" in this.

More telling is the fact that many non-boaters/non-fisherman have expressed their dismay about the lack of life-saving equipment and the apparent disregard for the weather which contributed to the tragedy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Give Em a Break

Did anyone ever consider that these gentlemen (with families) were NOT experienced boaters and just a victim of a stupid and tragic mistake. Here's a scenario: The guys were new to boating and eager to get out to fish. If anyone recalls the weather at 6:00am one town west of the accident didn't seem to drastic at the time, as the morning progressed the weather worsened. I myself was planning on going fishing that day too (not on a boat), but other plans came up.

The fact that there was no life preservers and a loose battery cable, says that unfortunately the pilot was inexperienced.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I Remember 2 yrs ago me and my cousin
were on his 18ft Budweiser can aluminum
boat by Robins island.We were out there
before 6am. It was Calm , like a lake!
By 10am out of nowwhere the weather
changed! Started Raining,Wind was blowin
and we were caught in 4 to 5ft waves.
I remember sitting in the boat and the waves just started to crash over the boat.We both had life preservers but it was going to take more than that to keep
us afloat. We did check the weather report but they said just some rain for that day.We kept our cool , open up the throttle and rode directly into the waves.It was one **** of a bumpy ride.
It felt like it took forever to make it back in.
It can be so deceiving when your out there. It was like a lake then got a little choppy and before we new it was too late. **** happens!
If it were choppy to begin with yeah no doubt! we would have never attempted
to go into those white caps.
" Dont leave home without your Life presever and Double check the weather report . The life you may be saving might be your own! "

Local #1049

·
Registered
174 Posts
* Mistakes kill quickly on the water. *

Inexperienced boaters do not recognize the danger they put themselves into until it is too late. It is especially tragic when children or parents of children die.

If you see someone on the water or at the ramp that obviously needs help or advice from an old salt- take the time to help them out and be patient.

Encourage people to take BS&S classes-an educated boater makes the water safer for everyone.

If you see an unsafe act, or a situation unfolding, call the Coast Guard- you may save a life. Make it your business.

If you hear a dangerous weather report and pass another boater on your way in- make sure they heard it too.

Each and every summer weekend, think about these things as you venture out onto the water..... it's what separates us from the mall rats.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Continuation of the story

Here is a continuation run in today's paper. The Suffolk Co. Marine Unit is taking some heat for this.

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/ny-liboat302689056apr30.story?coll=ny-news-print

Saycoda,

I guess you didn't read the article. It stated in a quote that the gentlman who drowned was "...highly experienced and very familiar with the bay," This was also not a storm that came out of nowhere. It was forcasted well in advance.

Nonetheless, this was a terrible accident, that the poor guy who survived, who was the captain, is going to have to live with for the rest of his life. I don't think placing blame is going to help, but pointing out the blatent errors which contributed to the accident can help others to protect themselves. I went out yesterday evening alone and put on a lifevest for the first time in probably over five years due to the 15 knot West wind in the Bay.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Doughboy

I saw todays article as well.

Makes me angry.

Regardless of periods of "less activity" the Suffolk marine Police need to be able to respond to an emergency IMEDIATELY regardless of time of day or season.

Their inability to do so for Mr. Papas is a disgrace.

I'm not one to bad mouth the police at every opportunity but there is no excuse for them not being able to respond.
If it takes 2 to man the boat than regardless of time of day or season there should be 2 officres there.

For Chrst sakes what are they thinking!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anthony when my kids were coming up they wore jackets as did I when they ere with me.When they were not aboard I did not wear one but they were readily accesible.I was tought that lesson from my daughter who asked me why I dont wear seatbelts but make her do.I had no reasonable answer ,so I put it on.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't want to start a debate about the Suffolk County PD's staffing policies, but if you look at the timeline that was provided in the latest news article, SCPD received the mayday alert from the CG at 8:20. The CG was on scene 20 min thereafter. Given the sea conditions on that day, the distance to travel (4.6 miles), and the time it would take SCPD to leave the dock (I doubt that even on a good day they have the ability to leave the dock in a min. time (as the CG did)), the gap in the time SCPD could have been on scene and the time the CG actually arrived is probably in the neighborhood of 5 min. Granted, 5 min. in those conditions and water temps could have meant the difference, but that aside, I don't think it should overshadow the fact that the capt of the troubled vessel left port without the minimum CG required life-saving devices on-board.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.