NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some information on tow boat insurance. I'd like to sign up with someone for the season.Do they charge by the foot? Can I buy different coverages for different distances? How much should I expect to pay for a 24'Stamas? I trailer this boat and expect to be going out of Portsmouth, Gloucester, and Boston. Is there one outfit that is out of all three ports? Thanks for any info that you can give me.

shebeen

(This post edited by shebeen on 05/22/2005)

· Registered
16 Posts
For a boat your size for $95/year you can get coverage from seatow
http://www.4seatow.com/

They claim coverage of all the area you would be in. Not necessarily the same person but the company has many franchise operators to cover the area.

There are of course other towing companies but that is a place to get started.

Whoever you get involved with, be aware there are a lot of curves in the tow business that involve salvage claims. Soft groundings, hard groundings, peril to the tow boat operator etc. Although you more than likely won't get charged for a bad situation if you are a member, they may go after your insurance company if it is anything other than a straight forward at sea breakdown, or out of fuel situation.

Having said that, it is a good idea to have a towing company to rely on. -Tom

http://newenglandsharks.com

· Registered
947 Posts
If you join BOAT/US you can buy tow insurance dirt cheap. $15.00 for $150.00 in coverage per year with increments above that. The only catch is that you need to use the local TOWBOAT/US franchise. SEATOW used to accept BOAT/US but they had a falling out.

Bill Sullivan
Jones/Debs editor
Nor'east Saltwater

· Registered
764 Posts
I get towing insurance added on to my regular boater's insurance for even less than BoatUS. Can't recall the limit but if you are offshore a ways, you may still be better off with Boat US, although I will stick with my USAA amendment, as I rarely go over 20 miles from where I launch

· Registered
5,973 Posts
Boat/US is the way to go.The most expensive package is $101.00 and that is for unlimited towing.(I believe thats up to 25 miles off.)
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

· Registered
1,680 Posts
shebeen,

Go with seatow. They have true unlimited towing with no maximum distance. You may and will be fishing more then 25 miles at times and you never know. I broke down (water in carbs) just past the isles 1 year ago and within a short time a big yellow seatow boat came from Newburyport to provide the tow back to Portsmouth, right to the boat ramp. No charge except for a nice tip since they were so professional.

The Maptech's Chart Navigator Navigation Software is really nice to use and is helpful for planning your trip. This comes with a new membership for an extra $19 and I sue it all the time.

Capt. Marc

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Last season early before I sold the boat that was giving me trouble I got stuck and called Boat tow US 3 times in a week , I quadrupled in tow bills the cost of the insurence the first week I had it. My advice go with unlimited.

· Registered
3 Posts
I use Progressive Ins. for my regular boat insurance, it comes with tow insurance which you can upgrade very cheap...they only drawback is that you have to pay out of pocket when you use it (the tow companies take credit cards) then get reinbursed, but I've used it twice and got reinbursed within 2 days of filing the claim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.