NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best approach to using a sinker with eels when casting?
fishfinders and rubbercore sinkers tend to have a helicopter effect when I use them. I am apprehensive about using egg sinkers because I am not sure if it will keep the eel on the bottom and inhibit its natural swim.

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
I fish the Nissequogue River all the time tossing eels - don't use a sinker. Just allow the river current to carry the eel along & let it swim.

Works fine & you can cover a lot of area this way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What about in the Shinne**** Inlet?? I've never used eels before. I was thinking about using a 3-4 ounce sinker, also, what size hook? I'm going to be using a 5/0 Mustad Demon Circle or a 3/0 Mustad O' Shaugnessy, which one should I go with???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have also used that approach bwhere the current is running however I plan on fishin tonight in L.N. Bay where there is no current, especially not as swift at the Niss.
Incidentally, what advice do you have for fishing the Niss. I was there at low tide and walked in my waders quite a distance and could only get action on sea robbins on tails and spoons and small blues w/calms. Is it any more viable for bass than other spots?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I never use a sinker. My rig is a 40-inch length of 50# mono (or fluorocarbon) with a #1 swivel barrel on one end and a 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook on the other. Cast out, retrieve _slowly_. When you get a hit, drop the rod tip and set the hook HARD when the line tightens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm new to the surf. should i smack the eel to keep it from balling up or just cast it as is. also what do you guys do to keep the eels alive - when i'm on the boat, it's easy to put it in the livewell - but walking up and down the beach a mile or two maybe difficult.

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
Agree with the surfeditor - I never "smack" the eel. Bass prefer a lively bait - especially if you are drifting them during slack. They will take a stunned eel - but I get far more action when they are actively moving around. You want the bait to appear natural & swiming.

Yes- you do get the occasional "eel ball" but I find this will only happen once. Once you untangle them - they generally don't do it again.

Also - a swift current seems to keep them from balling as they expend most of their energy trying to swim the current.

To jelly - outgoing tide seems best for bass in the Nissequogue. Also - I've had much greater success using bait rather then artificals. If you're trying the mouth & not having any success - you need to scout out other locations. Gave that up a couple of years ago.

This message was edited by wader on 10-3-01 @ 1:13 PM

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Wader,

do you constantly re-toss the eel up-current after it drifts downtide or do you let it swim in the current? Also, since you are not using a weight, I take it that your eels are being pulled close to thr surface. Do you have much luck with fishing eels off the bottom?

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
saycoda - rig the eel through the lower jaw & out an eye socket. Suggest using a 6/0 circle or baitcasting hook

Docfish - cast up above the current - allow the current to take it - begin veryyy slow retrieve once you think it's drifted far enough - lifting the rod tip up occasionally. I allow the drift to take place with an open bail running the line over the fingers on my free hand. When you feel the first tap - drop the bail & set the hook on the second pull.

I've also done this with a 2" bobber tied on above the snap swivel. Keeps the eel off of the bottom a foot or two (less bottom snagging) & forces the eel to swim (less eel balls). Fairly effective during slack tide when you don't have a current to move the eel around.

Regarding where the eel floats.....

As I'm usually in the river up to my waist or deeper in water & even at high tide the river only gets about 10 feet deep - the eel has a tendency to stay near the bottom anyway. I can tell this as I've snagged bottom more then I care to count. The eel will swim without the sinker & will find it's own depth. Doesn't have to be on dead bottom as bass aren't that lazy & will come up for a meal. If current is strong - the eel will rise during the retrieve - but - they've been "bass tagged" even when they are right on the surface. Find the use of a sinker unnecessary for North Shore casting (from a boat probably a good idea). Not very experienced with casting from shore on the South Shore - maybe benefical there due to surf conditions althought if in an inlet or back bay where there is little or no surf I would try without it..

This message was edited by wader on 10-3-01 @ 1:12 PM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.