NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing jobs and I am taking off a few weeks in between. Anybody know of a warm weathered fishing spot for the the 1st, 2nd or 3rd week in March? How is Cabo, Costa Rica or Key West this time of year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S.- I am not bringing my girlfriend. This time is for me.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
All the places you mention have great fishing. It depends on what you want ot tackle: tarpon, bonefish, tuna, marlin, dorado...and if you want shore fishing or boat fishing or both.

I think Florida offers the most opportunities without spending a fortune or having to deal with international travel. OTOH, if you want to take a shot at tuna and marlin go to Cabo. I was on the East Cape area and had a great time! Click Here for my article about the trip.

Good luck!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jaiem,

I was in Cabo last March and I stayed at the Solomar suites, where I was able to do some surf casting in addition to a marlin charter. I caught a 9ft Striped Marlino, released of course. Great time. I am thinking of going there again, just wondering if there are better spots in March that I should consider. I am not overly worried about expense, I am splurging on myself. However, I think Tahiti, Austrailia and Virgin Islands might be out of my price range. Somebody mentioned Ixtapa. I have heard good things. Any body have any info? Can you surf cast there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't count out the Pacific Coast of Mexico - we hit Puerto Vallarta last month, booked a great charter. I landed a 94" 120# Sailfish, the wife got a 96" 230# Black Marlin (OK - I fought it the first 30 minutes - she brought it to the boat 40 minutes later.) Also got a 30# and a 35# Mahi-Mahi (Dorado). Let me know if you want the captain's name and phone - he was the best on the water. [email protected]

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Steve,

I've fished the Marco Island area in May and had great tarpon and snook fishing, including a 100+ lb. fish on an 8wt!

Pring small Albie Bunnies, all white and red/white, on a strong hook like Gamakatsu or Tiemco.

If you can get out in a boat or with a guide try night tarpon fishing around the dock lights - awsome!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.